Shelf life on API test kits?

filbie70

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know the shelf life on test kits? I did a test yesterday with an API and it turned blue as soon as I added the second reagent. I measured about a 2.0. I checked again tonight and the same result. I pulled out my Hanna checker and received a 0.00. I’d love to go with the Hanna over the API that is a few years old. But, it sparked the question and I can’t find an answer through Google.

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just throw it away and go with salifert or Red Sea test kits. The api are inaccurate and inconsistent.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know the shelf life on test kits? I did a test yesterday with an API and it turned blue as soon as I added the second reagent. I measured about a 2.0. I checked again tonight and the same result. I pulled out my Hanna checker and received a 0.00. I’d love to go with the Hanna over the API that is a few years old. But, it sparked the question and I can’t find an answer through Google.
The only API test kits that I feel comfortable with is the cal and alk.

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright personally found them to be inaccurate and just don’t really like them.

enveetie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was never the type to bash on API test kits just because many others do. Over the years, my own experience is that I've seen enough inaccuracies that I wouldn't trust their kits when it really mattered. I pulled out a year old SW master kit and was tempted to use it, but decided against it. Two LFS near me use API, and their numbers are never near my own unless its 0 ammo or 0 nitrites.

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ammonia nitrite and nitrate I have never had an issue with for freshwater. But for saltwater reef you need a more accurate precise number I wouldn’t use it.

OP
OP
filbie70

filbie70

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used my Red Sea to back up my Hanna. PO4 Red Sea and Hanna undetectable. API 2.0. I did a similar trial with NO3 and Red Sea and Hanna are undetectable. API is >5. My API are now in the trash. In fairness they were a bit old over 2 yrs.

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the feedback through emails from API a few years ago, all of the older kits have an exp.date of 3 years from the lot # on the bottles.
The last 4 numbers are the date and month of manufacture.
The KH and nitrite kits exp. 4 years from the lot #.
The more recent bottles have the actual expiration dates on the bottles.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back