Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So are you going to do it?

TheSaint216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be able to find a mock one. Im saying I wouldnt just throw a plastic ship in there and put a coral colony on it. Might look like the coral is something out of godzilla. I would try to capture a small noticeable part of the boat like a propeller or the ships bell.

OP
OP
AQUAMAN21

AQUAMAN21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be able to find a mock one. Im saying I wouldnt just throw a plastic ship in there and put a coral colony on it. Might look like the coral is something out of godzilla. I would try to capture a small noticeable part of the boat like a propeller or the ships bell.

Agreed on the coral size issue. That's why i've been looking for something that'll be big enough that the coral and fish won't look too big. Note the tank is 72'x 18"x 22" so i'll have 6 feet to fill up with rock and maybe a nautical prop.

roadrashpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along for this. It will be awesome if you do it. PaulB had an idea in his thread of an anchor and chain where the chain comes out of the water with coral growing up the chain. Something like that would look really cool also.

OP
OP
AQUAMAN21

AQUAMAN21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW thats a really cool idea. I just sent PaulB a message asking if he had any picture's or can give me the thread link. I'm going to do it just need to find the right piece.

JPG@CFI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should consider the Titanic. I know it didn't sink in the tropics, but it's your tank, and think it would be cool!

Beradd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what I would try and do is .....get some aragacreate and sculpt or mold out the bow of a boat with railings or with portholes (borrowing from put a bottle in you reef thread) maybe a mast or ships wheel and such so it resembles a portion of a sunken ship sticking out of the sand ....or in this case your glass wall.. maybe do two sections of it so its like a broken in half boat that u can see inside of... could get complicated but would be fun. I think the aragacrete boat would resemble a boat that's been under for a long time ....I think if I were going this route I would go for like a Spanish galleon look.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The public aquarium near me made backgrounds out of fibreglass. If your good with that sort of thing it's a good option :)
He just used rocks that resemble live rock as a mold and casted it right over the rocks, painted it, sealed it somehow and I'm assuming there was a curing process and it was good to go.
I'll try to find a photo of how it looks.

OP
OP
AQUAMAN21

AQUAMAN21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The public aquarium near me made backgrounds out of fibreglass. If your good with that sort of thing it's a good option :)
He just used rocks that resemble live rock as a mold and casted it right over the rocks, painted it, sealed it somehow and I'm assuming there was a curing process and it was good to go.
I'll try to find a photo of how it looks.

i was thinking about fiberglass cause i've seen the builders on "TANKED" just that for all there coral inserts and overflow covers. I'm been doing some more brain storming about the idea and if i did something like a 1800 sailing ship i could have a mast coming out of the water.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.6%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 168 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back