Shipping Costs

JCRove06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers,

I’m trying to sell some frags on EBay. I’ve noticed the shipping costs others post are like $20 or less. How are folks charging so little? I mean doesn’t this need to be overnighted in special packaging with heaters + the crazy cost to overnight???

I think the shipping quote I got was like $40-$50 and that doesn’t include the expense from materials to ship it. Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Please advise,

JC

vessxpress1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on what you’re shipping. Hardier coral may make it ok in 2 days. Most stuff does need overnight and nobody has overnighted anything at $20 since maybe 1965? Lol. It’s pretty much 40 to 50. Which anymore somethings gotta be pretty special to justify the cost OR needs to be several things wanted in the box to make it worth it.

I shipped a lot back in the day. Some people may whine about the cost but guess what, it’s work and time that you pretty much don’t even get compensated for because the shipping options charge so much nowadays.

SVP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pay between 30 and 40 to actually book the shipment and get the label. by the time i buy 1500' 5" polyroll and boxes at 5.50 a pop plus other supplies tape, bubble wrap, heat cool pack, pee cups. that puts me over my $45 flat rate fee but under $50 a box

OP
OP
JCRove06

JCRove06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good feedback l just not what I wanted to hear. How are people on eBay selling $20 corals with $20-$30 shipping making money??

vessxpress1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good feedback l just not what I wanted to hear. How are people on eBay selling $20 corals with $20-$30 shipping making money??

They may have a UPS/ Fedex account and get a discounted business rate. I'm not sure. I know I have my eye on some stuff at some sellers right now and if I was set up atm, I'd probably buy 4 or 5 frags off of them to justify the $45 shipping cost. Can get a lot of frags in a box.

OP
OP
JCRove06

JCRove06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I get that. But your a buyer willing to pay shipping and getting the value by bundling corals. I did a listing bundling 3 corals with $35 shipping and got nothing. Then I saw my competition....
1582168749282.png

They may have a UPS/ Fedex account and get a discounted business rate. I'm not sure. I know I have my eye on some stuff at some sellers right now and if I was set up atm, I'd probably buy 4 or 5 frags off of them to justify the $45 shipping cost. Can get a lot of frags in a box.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you click the shipping details, they are doing USPS priority mail. It also says delivery on February 27th. Not sure if that is accurate or not because that would mean more than 2 days unless they are not shipping until next week. Priority mail would be around $18 probably. If they have a business account it might get down to around $13.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In those auctions there is no way they are doing overnight. More than likely 2 day shipping.

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had shipping costs from $25 to $60, depending on if it was going 100 miles or 2,000 miles, and that's all with a shipping discount of about 30%. It's unfortunate the cost to ship coral overnight, but just the nature of the beast. It just doesn't make sense for the customer to buy coral online and pay shipping unless they are buying something they can't get locally, buying alot of frags to justify the price, or buying collector corals that cost significantly more than the shipping cost. I probably have about half to 2/3 of people who ask for a shipping quote not end up buying because it's expensive. I charge my cost for shipping to my customers, and eat the cost of packing and heat/cold packs myself so really I lose $5-8 per box I ship. I've lost money on certain orders before because I just don't have high margins on my frags.

CivicS14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest - I was one of these people that didn't buy something when I found out about the shipping cost. (Amazon ruined it for me and I'm sure others to think shipping is cheap or free). However, now that I'm selling online and shipping myself, I don't even hesitate when someone say it's $50 to ship overnight because between the box, insulation, heat pack, bags, etc. & the actual shipping cost.... $50 is more than fair.

I've had shipping costs from $25 to $60, depending on if it was going 100 miles or 2,000 miles, and that's all with a shipping discount of about 30%. It's unfortunate the cost to ship coral overnight, but just the nature of the beast. It just doesn't make sense for the customer to buy coral online and pay shipping unless they are buying something they can't get locally, buying alot of frags to justify the price, or buying collector corals that cost significantly more than the shipping cost. I probably have about half to 2/3 of people who ask for a shipping quote not end up buying because it's expensive. I charge my cost for shipping to my customers, and eat the cost of packing and heat/cold packs myself so really I lose $5-8 per box I ship. I've lost money on certain orders before because I just don't have high margins on my frags.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From a consumer perspective. Unless i am buying a lot of corals i only buy from vendors that are near me, that have cheaper rates for my close proximity. If i lived somewhere that didnt have 3 or 4 coral vendors that did this, i may have a different view. But probably would only do large enough orders to qualify for free shipping.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
They get these rates with volume business and shipper accounts.

OP
OP
JCRove06

JCRove06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In those auctions there is no way they are doing overnight. More than likely 2 day shipping.

Good eye...WILL Coral Typically survive TWO DAY shipping with insulation and heat pack etc?

In this case I’d be selling Frag packs like hardy Zoas (eagle eyes, Fire and Ice, etc) GSP, Armor of God, firework clove polyps. They aren’t high dollar so knowing folks want to bundle or buy high end which I don’t have much off I opted for the bundle attempt.

vessxpress1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good eye...WILL Coral Typically survive TWO DAY shipping with insulation and heat pack etc?

In this case I’d be selling Frag packs like hardy Zoas (eagle eyes, Fire and Ice, etc) GSP, Armor of God, firework clove polyps. They aren’t high dollar so knowing folks want to bundle or buy high end which I don’t have much off I opted for the bundle attempt.

I think zoas can make it 2 day. Maybe even 3 because they are hardy and can close up and kind of protect themselves. Buyer paying cheaper shipping should be allowed to use it at their own risk. But I sure wouldn't try it this time of year. I would only risk that in the summer. Most of the country is way too cold and styrofoam boxes and 16 hr heat packs can only do so much. I'd be surprised if much SPS would be doing well after 3 days. The pH would just go to nothing in the bag by the 2nd or 3rd day and it will be cold water. If anything survived I'd guess you'll be receiving in rough shape. Maybe somebody will come along and say it can be done. I've had things not make it overnight. You're often time's trying to ship water in bags with pointy things that can pop bags and the boxes get tossed around.

Anybody that's shocked by 40- $50 shipping hasn't been in this hobby long and/or has never shipped anything themselves. A medium sized box 2-3 day usps, shipping anything can hardly be done for under $15 anymore. Tack on more for packaging, labels, etc. We're actually lucky overnight rates aren't more yet.

Local frag swaps are way more fun. Even if you have to drive a hundred miles. You can see stuff in person. Have it immediately. Your shipping cost is your gas. No worry about temps or handling.

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never recommend saving money by going with longer delivery options. These are live animals lol. I use 40 hour heat packs and even with corals only being inside a box for a little over 15 hours you will still have some that don't make it. SPS really doesn't like temperature fluctuations at all.

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked up a 1 LB shipment from Bay Area to Dallas right now for Saturday Delivery and got $137... I'm not even sure how you guys are getting it down to $50. I've never shipped before, but wanted to in the future.

The Aquatic Arsenal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked up a 1 LB shipment from Bay Area to Dallas right now for Saturday Delivery and got $137... I'm not even sure how you guys are getting it down to $50. I've never shipped before, but wanted to in the future.
Try shipnex.com. Also try for shipping rates from Monday - Thursdays

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back