Shipping heat pack?

overnight temps will be between 45-50 should i use a heat pack?
I would. One extra ventilation hole and pack some damp paper towels in there. Don't let the heat pack touch the bags directly and give a small insulation buffer -- paper towels, packing peanuts, etc.
 
What's the damp paper towel purpose?

If you have some ventilation than the heat pack will heat up the water on the paper towels and allow the water on the paper towels to evaporate. Most heat packs need incoming air anyway (even a few tiny holes.

It will usually keep the specimen water a bit cooler if things get too hot than the heat pack with no damp towels.

Admittedly I haven't tested this scientifically, but it makes sense and I've done this before shipping coral in room temp highs and low temp night situations like this time of year.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new