Shipping question fro all you experts

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be shipping a chalice from Long Island, NY to Miami Beach this evening for tomorrow delivery. It is suppose to be cold up here this evening, in the 20's but warm down there tomorrow, in the 80's. I would assume that I would need to use a heat pack to protect it tonight from the bitter cold tonight but it's gonna be warm where it's going tomorrow. Any idea's?

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ship a lot of coral and I am in Ohio. N matter where the coral is being shipped to I use a 40 hour heat pack. The difference between 12 hour and 40 hour is that the 40 hour will last longer. the 40 hour gets no hotter than the 12 hour, the heat just peaks at different time. In a 12 hour the heat will peak to about 120 degrees in about 6-7 hours and a 40 hour it will peak at about 22 hours. So, no matter where the coral is going the goal is to try to keep the same temp through out the trip. I would highly recommend a 40 hour or at the least a 24 hour at minimum.

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kev, what time is the package supposed to get delivered? And how hot will it be when it gets delivered? Most likely it will get there before 10:30 right?

OP
OP
FaviaFreak

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kev, what time is the package supposed to get delivered? And how hot will it be when it gets delivered? Most likely it will get there before 10:30 right?

yup by 10:30 and suppose to be in the mid to low 80's in North Miami tomorrow

nino78

Blue Planet Corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't be in the 80's that early. IMO I would use one heat pack. I don't think the duration will matter that much as long as it lasts for the trip.

OP
OP
FaviaFreak

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ship a lot of coral and I am in Ohio. N matter where the coral is being shipped to I use a 40 hour heat pack. The difference between 12 hour and 40 hour is that the 40 hour will last longer. the 40 hour gets no hotter than the 12 hour, the heat just peaks at different time. In a 12 hour the heat will peak to about 120 degrees in about 6-7 hours and a 40 hour it will peak at about 22 hours. So, no matter where the coral is going the goal is to try to keep the same temp through out the trip. I would highly recommend a 40 hour or at the least a 24 hour at minimum.

thanks, that does make good sense, I am just worried about overheating the coral if it's in the mid-low 80's tomorrow down in Miami

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't be in the 80's that early. IMO I would use one heat pack. I don't think the duration will matter that much as long as it lasts for the trip.

That is exactly what I was thinking. Kev you need to look at the weather and see what temperature its going to be when its supposed to get delivered. Then decide on which heat pack you want to use.

OP
OP
FaviaFreak

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is exactly what I was thinking. Kev you need to look at the weather and see what temperature its going to be when its supposed to get delivered. Then decide on which heat pack you want to use.
that's what i will do
accuweather.com has hour by hour temps

Thanks!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back