Shipping ?s

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.How exactly do you package and ship corals?

2.Where can i get the needed supplies for shipping?

3.Can I use usps its cheaper than fedex???? Tell me ur opinion..

4. any other needed info..

Thanks

hwntunda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tripple bagged, styro lined box, w/ heat pack if needed.... i prefer using UPS. usps is too slow to me and dont want to delay our living friends their new homes.

fenderguy1

Prop/Shipping Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#1 at the least tripple bagged, insulated box w/heat pack or cold pack depending on needs #2http://www.uline.com/ or your best bet ask your local LFS for any insulated boxes,they usually have tons. #3 You could but not worth the risk I.M.O. I would never ship any other way than fedex priorty overnight. The word cheap and this hobby just dont mix;) #4 let me see just a few that pop into my head.. Urine contaniers work very well for shipping small frags. Make sure to pack the empty space around the bags/ contanier, this means fill it! Not one or 2 pices of paper. Never place a heatpack or cold pack directly on the bag's..The smaller the box you ship in the cheaper the shipping charge is.

Surf&turf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received some frags from H@rrysfrags and he also had the frag suspended upside down in the bag with a piece of styrofoam strapped to the bottom. That way they didn't get beatup just bouncing around the bag.

Aqua Amie

no newbie here
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread! I have often wondered the same. IME, Fedex Priority overnight runs around $65 or so, but I know when you buy from online vendors, they have something like free shipping over $????? or $25 flat rate shipping....I know they are not sending USPS Flat rate delivery, so how do they manage such low shipping charges....Besides, is it ok with buyers to buy a $50 frag or something and then have to pay $65 shipping to get it? Always wondered about this...

Last edited:
OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so now the ? is how exactly do you use fedex,like the overnight etc... and the closest fedex place is 30-45 min away so it would be easier for me to get a pick up..right?

JBs_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can easily go online and set up a fedex or ups account with a credit card. Then you can print your own shipping labels and set up a pick up. The shipping boxes from uline can be expensive but worth it especially in the cold. I can not stand the home made boxes. Some people dont even bother to seal them with tape. Us folks in micihgan appreciate a sealed box in the cold months.

Also please remember that every heat pack is NOT the same. You standard hunting hand warmer is NOT a heat pack for shipping. They are rated to go up to 120 degrees and can fry your corals. Look for the Uni-heat reptile shipping packs. I can get you the link if needed.

Shipping in not as overwhelming as it seems but you have to be commited to buy the right supplies and do it right. Shipping is NOT the place to be cheap. IMO :)

Last edited:

Stray32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time I have ever had a problem with Shipping is when I used Fedex. They entered the zip code incorrectly and the package ended up hours away from where it should have gone. It took a full 2 days to make it to its destination. I have used USPS without a single shipping error. The only time I use UPS is when USPS service won't make it overnight, which has only happened to two locations.

I triple bag my coral using bags from kensfish.com . I attach the frags to a small piece of styrofoam to keep them suspended in water through shipping. This minimizes damage during shipping in my opinion. I use packing peanuts on top of the frags, then wrap the heat/cold pack in newspaper and place it on top of the peanuts. Remember that in order for the heat packs to stay warm for their intended period of time, they must have access to O2. In order do to this, I either poke a hole or two in the styro lid of the cooler, or just tape over the center seam of the box, allowing air in around the lid.

The biggest problem I have had is polyps coming loose from the plugs during shipping. This is simply a result of not giving the frags enough time to heal properly and encrust to the plugs. If you plan on shipping, ensure at least a week for healing, 10 days to 2 weeks is ideal.

fenderguy1

Prop/Shipping Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so now the ? is how exactly do you use fedex,like the overnight etc... and the closest fedex place is 30-45 min away so it would be easier for me to get a pick up..right?

Also check if there is a Fedex Kinkos Fedex office near by. You can also pm me your zip and i can look into the closest location when i get to work tomorrow.

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok..where i would like to know the link for the warmers and i might just have to try both fedex and usps....

Does this sound like a good idea.....take some decent frag of somesort and basically pay completly for it but sell it.and see if shipping goes well....Because i dont want 2 take a great frag ship and something goes wrong...

Stray32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the 24-hour hand warmers from ***** Sporting Goods. You can also get them online at kensfish.com, where I get my bags.

ok..where i would like to know the link for the warmers and i might just have to try both fedex and usps....

Does this sound like a good idea.....take some decent frag of somesort and basically pay completly for it but sell it.and see if shipping goes well....Because i dont want 2 take a great frag ship and something goes wrong...

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HAHAHAHa, and thanks ill probably look on that website

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shipping companies vary, youll hear it from both sides, just get quotes from all and use the cheapest overnight method
ive had great success with ups, usps (both express and priority) and very bad results with fedex, my personal experience
location of the buyer has a huge impact on the carrier though
also, what coral you ship has a factor in the shipping method too
if theyre within the same state, most of the time you can get away with ground shipping
i find that triple bagging is overrated, i only double bag unless the buyer insists
i know everyone swears by it but if the inside of the box is packed/bagged well, you really wont have a problem
styro lined box is great but a styro box is better but much more expensive
i used to buy styrofoam sheets from homedepot for $10 which made a lot of boxes
if you do styrolined boxes, remember to tape up the edges because unless your cuts are perfectly squared, it really isnt doing much
i like to bag up all the bags into 1 big bag just as a precaution, so if you count the big bag then i guess you can say its "triple bagged"
good luck

OP
OP
KLR

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thanks i think ill try usps 1st.

what do you think about my 1st shipped coral idea...couple of post earlier...

JBs_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the link:

UniHeat Tropical Fish Shipping Warmer

They also sell 40 and 72 hour heat packs. Just google Uni-Heat. Trust me when I say that the hunting heat packs get WAY to hot. Just stick one in your pocket and then put your hand in your pocket after 45 min. They get HOT!!!!!

Would you let your tank temperature spike above 90 degrees?? I understand that corals may survive this but it adds to the stress of the corals. IMO

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%

Back