Short spine urchin gone missing

Free Phyto Promo
Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed
Shop Now Code: FREEPHYTO

peterat33rpm

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 30, 2024
Messages
126
Reaction score
41
Location
Chapel Hill
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got a short spine urchin 3 days ago and put him in my 32 gallon tank. I saw him the next morning but haven’t seen him since. It’s obviously not a very big tank so I’d be surprised if he’s just hiding really well, but is that possible? Will they burrow under the sand? There are no spines around the tank to suggest he was killed but is that possible? Stock is two clowns, bengai, firefish, flame tail blenny, emerald crab, turbo snail, handful of other snails and hermits, and a conch. If he’s dead, would that cause a big spike and crash the rank like a dead nem?
IMG_3875.jpeg
 
I got a short spine urchin 3 days ago and put him in my 32 gallon tank. I saw him the next morning but haven’t seen him since. It’s obviously not a very big tank so I’d be surprised if he’s just hiding really well, but is that possible? Will they burrow under the sand? There are no spines around the tank to suggest he was killed but is that possible? Stock is two clowns, bengai, firefish, flame tail blenny, emerald crab, turbo snail, handful of other snails and hermits, and a conch. If he’s dead, would that cause a big spike and crash the rank like a dead nem?
IMG_3875.jpeg
Just from a quick glance, that looks like a rock-boring urchin of some variety rather than a standard short-spine/pincushion (pincushions have tiny, needle-like spines; pencil urchins have thick, rounded spines; rock-borers have more of a middle-ground spine where it's kind of thick, but not as thick as the pencil urchin spines). I'd check around the rockwork of the tank, and I'd probably expect it to pop up within the next few days.

None of your livestock should bother the urchin at all. I personally wouldn't expect it to cause a meaningful ammonia spike if it dies/is dead.
 
Ok I thought short spine = rock boring urchin. I’ll just keep an eye out I guess. I’d see spines around the tank if it died surely? I also haven’t seen it on the floor around the tank but the only other possibility is it got out and a dog got to it
 
Update - daughter demanded a bottle at 2:30 am last night and on my way I took a peak in the tank and guess who was sitting there on the rocks plain as day. I’m just glad I’m not going crazy and he didn’t vanish into thin air. Couldn’t find him again this morning so he has a very good hiding spot somewhere
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new