Should Bulk Reef Supply Resurrect ReefKeeper?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Should Bulk Reef Supply work to resurrect a Reefkeeper-like low cost controller

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

YumaMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A retailer is an unlikely savior to any original equipment manufacturer. Too different in business models, managerial, engineering, and marketing skills, and will likely run into conflict of interests in patents and other intellectual property rights.

DAPG8GT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef angel is a cheaper option and runs as well as anything in the market .I recently upgraded to Apex and honestly probably shouldn't have..I have probably 3 complete reef angel units with multiple add ons from the standard to plus that are perfectly fine that are sitting in storage..Guess I bought into the hype and don't really know why.

It will all be for sale at a steal soon and will be someone's ticket into an awesome controller ( for at least two tanks ) at a serious discount. Honestly I feel the reef angel was easier to understand and program than the Apex due to the basic wizard they have and the owner is personally replying to you usually within 24 hours via the forum if you want something custom .

Last edited:

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big fan the Reef Angel; been running it for two and half years now and really dont understand why more people dont give it a shot. For basic things like what you'd do with the RKL, it's super easy to program. With some knowledge, you can literally make it do what ever you want. The Star is $400.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big fan the Reef Angel; been running it for two and half years now and really dont understand why more people dont give it a shot. For basic things like what you'd do with the RKL, it's super easy to program. With some knowledge, you can literally make it do what ever you want. The Star is $400.
Never Heard of it! Please share!
The @eKoProCS Ekoral is going to release a basic controller, not sure of the price.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;Sorry ....I found it amusing that someone is trying to sell these

calimorphreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that the RKL was a great controller in a space that has been vacant ever since it was shut down. When you compared it apples to apples against anything out there for what it did and the price it was at there wasn't a lot that could really compete with it. It was "basic," but pretty easy to use. You hear the Apex to RKL argument but for that much more cost you would expect to get at least that much more controller and I think the same holds true for the RKL comparison to other controllers out there. Its unfortunate that someone has not stepped up with a similar product at a similar price point; I also do believe that to accomplish this it would be very hard to do given manufacturing cost; a lot of this controller was produced in house; which I believe a lot of customers did not know.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what are people wanting to do with the lower price point controllers? It seems like more and more equipment has it's own controller now than when RK was around I don't know personally if I would find the value in it. Of course I know some people will, but for the majority of us our lights have their own controller, the powerheads are DC and have programs, we have pretty nice all in one ATO and AWC like the smart aqua series that even have flood detection, high water detection and such. For heaters we have controllers that are not very expensive and can be used standalone or as a backup to conventional heaters. I know it would be nice to have these all in one spot, but that cost and complexity to develop is going to push the price up. I am just not sure in this environment there would be a huge gain, either use timer or fully buy into controllers with a higher price point and more integrated equipment the apex series has simply because the other gear has evolved so much.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RKL saved my tanked so many times for just $100. With a temp probe when my AC went out in my home in several times it would shut down my lights one by one and skimmer pump to keep the tank temp down. I have three with the oldest being 10+.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So what are people wanting to do with the lower price point controllers? It seems like more and more equipment has it's own controller now than when RK was around I don't know personally if I would find the value in it. Of course I know some people will, but for the majority of us our lights have their own controller, the powerheads are DC and have programs, we have pretty nice all in one ATO and AWC like the smart aqua series that even have flood detection, high water detection and such. For heaters we have controllers that are not very expensive and can be used standalone or as a backup to conventional heaters. I know it would be nice to have these all in one spot, but that cost and complexity to develop is going to push the price up. I am just not sure in this environment there would be a huge gain, either use timer or fully buy into controllers with a higher price point and more integrated equipment the apex series has simply because the other gear has evolved so much.

Your argument sounds more like a reason why you would not need a expensive controller?. Since most equipment comes with a controller anyway right.

Fact is no one actually needs a conroller...

But what everyone need is something to control a heater since they are so unreliable.

So you buy a temperature controller.. What does a good one cost? around 75 dollars so a RK lite was not too much more.

A Reefkeeper lite could do pretty much what any controller could do at the time with a add on module. I do not thin people really understood what it could do..

OP
OP
Richard Hercher

Richard Hercher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A retailer is an unlikely savior to any original equipment manufacturer. Too different in business models, managerial, engineering, and marketing skills, and will likely run into conflict of interests in patents and other intellectual property rights.
Fair point. To counter, though, I would point out that BRS has a number of "branded" items, including dosing pumps, RODI systems, and their pharmaceutical grade reagents. I don't believe they manufacture any of them (except maybe reef chili), but they have experience sourcing OEM products. Distributing a computer system is WAY above what they've done so far, but if the team WANTED to, I'm not convinced they would bankrupt BRS in the attempt.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I just wanted to add that there are plenty of used Apex Jrs. on the market for around $100 bucks, absolutely great option for people on a budget or a secondary controller.

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But what everyone need is something to control a heater since they are so unreliable.

So you buy a temperature controller.. What does a good one cost? around 75 dollars so a RK lite was not too much more.

A Reefkeeper lite could do pretty much what any controller could do at the time with a add on module. I do not thin people really understood what it could do..

I agree with Dave. I have two Reefkeeper RK2's, and while I originally used a whole lot of their features, as time went by I acquired lights with their own WIFI control... then Gyre pumps for water movement, also with their own control. Then ATO with its own control. Nowdays, the RK2's only control the heaters and monitor pH. But temperature control is where the RK really shines. I don't know of any controller at any price that will maintain temperature to 0.1 degrees F, and include the ability to switch items on and off if the temp goes out of range. For that feature alone, I continue to use them. I have no use for an Apex or its ridiculous price tag.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef angel is a cheaper option and runs as well as anything in the market .I recently upgraded to Apex and honestly probably shouldn't have..I have probably 3 complete reef angel units with multiple add ons from the standard to plus that are perfectly fine that are sitting in storage..Guess I bought into the hype and don't really know why.

It will all be for sale at a steal soon and will be someone's ticket into an awesome controller ( for at least two tanks ) at a serious discount. Honestly I feel the reef angel was easier to understand and program than the Apex due to the basic wizard they have and the owner is personally replying to you usually within 24 hours via the forum if you want something custom .
Let me know when you put your RA stuff up for sale. I've been running mine for 10 years now with nothing but rock solid performance.

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I bought my controller a few of years ago I was going back and forth between Reefkeeper Lite and Apex Jr. At that time both were within $25 of each other. I ended up going with the neptune as a result of a phone call to BRS's customer service department and discussing the 2 options. Now you'll see that RKL is gone, so is the apex jr, and any option for a complete small capacity controller. I think there needs to be a fully functional controller in that size range, as I find my Jr very useful, and since the downfall of digital aquatics there is no reason for netpune or anyone else to compete in that space. At this time I am only aware of 2 options Apex and Reef angel both seem to be very good but both are signficantly larger than what I need and way more than I would spend for what I need. Raspberry Pi and ReefPi are something to consider but I dont trust my python skills to that level yet. More options means competition and prices tend to stay in check. Less competition leads to exactly what happening and less options at higher prices.

As for how I feel about BRS bringing back the RKL I don't think its a good business decision for them. They do a great job of providing independent advice on all the products they sell and when/ if they start producing their own products they will naturally, and understandably, have a bias towards their own stuff. I don't know how many of you have actually talked to their customer service department but they are fantastic and very helpful even if its just a question about how something they sell works or their opinion if you are split between 2 items (as I was with my controller purchase). If they produced their own controller people could question their opinions on controller related items and they may end up loosing business as a result.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As for how I feel about BRS bringing back the RKL I don't think its a good business decision for them. .

I agree most likely not a good business decision.

At this time I am only aware of 2 options Apex and Reef angel both seem to be very good but both are signficantly larger than what I need and way more than I would spend for what I need.

You got GHL and Ekoral and possibly Vertex.

GHL does make a very limited lower priced controller.

They do a great job of providing independent advice on all the products they sell and when/ if they start producing their own products they will naturally, and understandably, have a bias towards their own stuff. .

The do a great job but there is a still bias to the products they sell and that goes for anyone doing videos or what ever..
When they recommend something in a video I bet they sell a ton later.
I have heard them claim several times something is best in the market and it is not, It was the best they sell.
People need to remember they are in the business to sell stuff and that is what their videos are really for.
Do not get me wrong their videos are very informational and they recommend allot of great equipment.
I think they try to be opened minded as much as possible but I think many will not send someone to another retailer if they have a competing product..
I also think in most cases places carry what they think is best but it does not always mean it is the best.
I think allot of YouTubers get a lot of free product and it makes them bias too.
This part of the post is not just at BRS this is all these videos out there , I just used BRS as a example.
People need to keep an open mind and look at more than just one opinion.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back