Should I be concerned LTA

Snoop_90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this LTA for about 9 months now. I know nems sometimes bite their tentacles and I've seen it happen before but not randomly like this, should I be concerned?

20190522_123944.jpg

20190522_123952.jpg

20190522_124000.jpg

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be concerned. The overall health of the nem doesn’t look great either.
Have you changed anything in the tank or has it moved ?

OP
OP
S

Snoop_90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hasn't moved from that spot in over 6 months. There hasn't been any changes in the tank. 20% Water change every 2 weeks. Water top off every week.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hasn't moved from that spot in over 6 months. There hasn't been any changes in the tank. 20% Water change every 2 weeks. Water top off every week.
Water top off every week ? That should be everyday

OP
OP
S

Snoop_90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have an ATO so I pour RO/DI water into the tank. I do monitor the salinity multiple times a week. so if its changing I add water accordingly

Last edited:

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, the top off would benefit the tank most if done daily. Anyway you can store a small container (5 gallons) and use a little each day?

Do you feed the anemone? Maybe it’s hungry and that’s the cause of the tentacle shrinkage. Could be eating it’s own body mass to stay alive.

OP
OP
S

Snoop_90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do store water in containers. Usually have 15-20 gallons ready to use. I wasn't aware it was best to do it daily. I will start doing that.

I was feeding it mysis mixed with some frozen carnivore food once a week.

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do store water in containers. Usually have 15-20 gallons ready to use. I wasn't aware it was best to do it daily. I will start doing that.

I was feeding it mysis mixed with some frozen carnivore food once a week.

Any chance something is picking at it? Any new tank mates?

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing too recent last thing I may have added was a hermit crab maybe 3-4 weeks ago. The anemone was perfectly fine a few days go.

At this point I’d just test your water parameters, keep feeding it if it’ll take food and do regular tank maintenance (water change and/or sponge and media changes) and see if it improves. It looks like it has a really good chance of bouncing back and being fine.

OP
OP
S

Snoop_90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nem has gotten much better!! It had lost most of its tentacles, I started feeding it small cut up pieces of shrimps from the fish store every few days for 1-2 weeks, and then decreased the feeding amount. Majority of its tentacles have grown back. Not as large as they were before, but I'm happy its making a recovery.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That anemone was not happy. The tentacles pinched off not due to fish biting it or anemone waging war but due to his unhappiness. You need to find our what it is and correct it. It seem that you successfully did it. In general, try to keep things as stable as much as you can.
There are certain things that is particularly bad for anemone (and other sensitive animals). Poor water condition is one. Top off weekly is another one. Most successful long term reefers top off continuously or at least daily. Do you add two parts calcium supplements? If you add Kalk too fast or alkalinity too fast which cause spike in pH, can also do this. This, spike in pH, cause a lot of stress for the animal. High temperature spike during the day also. As LTA get larger, they also want deeper sand. Consider this and consider adding more sand to the area where the anemone is at.
Good luck with your anemone. Post a picture.

OP
OP
S

Snoop_90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realized it wasn't happy just couldn't figure out why. I've had that issue with some nems. As far as water condition, I did initially struggle with phosphates and nitrates, but I had gotten them under control around the time it started pinching its tentacles.
I don't do 2 part calcium. I started using Instant Oceans reef crystals about 4 months ago and I know that has Calcium, I use kalk but hardly any, and by hardly any I mean I've only made a mixture once and I add some of that to my water top off and changes. My ph is mostly always in the 7.9-8.1 range. Calcium has always around 450 ppm sometimes even got higher when I used purple tech. A LFS had told me to dose the tank with purple tech for Ca and coraline algae. But I would still check the Ca once a week to make sure it wasn't getting too high.

After the initial post, it lost almost all of its tentacles. Once I started feeding it more often it got much better. These pictures are after I moved everything into a 230 gallon tank I purchased. the lights are also different than the original tank. The nem was originally under a Radio xr30 now its under a black box and t5s. The new tank does have a dosing pump just need to figure out how to use it. For the new tank I have an ATO so the top offs are regular. Ca is around 430 ppm and ph ranges from 7.98-8.02 throughout the day. So thats why I haven't added any supplements yet. Tank is currently fishless. Fish are all under Quarantine, was afraid the move will stress them out. Which was a good thing since one fish did come down with ich. Heres a pic of the current set up. So far everything is stable. Minus a few pests I'm working on getting rid of. But always open to advice especially with a tank this size :D

Sick Nem today-

Full tank pics 2 weeks old. Have moved around a couple corals since-

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back