Should I Change Out Carbon?

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm still learning, but when I got my tank 4 months ago, it came with carbon bags. I'm not sure how old they were or how long they were used, but I never replaced them with new carbon when I started the tank up. One I ended up switching out for Chemi-pure Elite and still haven't touched the other one.

Should I change out the carbon and put fresh carbon in, or remove entirely? I'm honestly not even sure I need the Chemi-pure because I feel like my parameters have been pretty stable and nitrates always almost seem too low of anything (between 0-5ppm on API test) Any suggestions?

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert but I read that carbon should be changed approximately once per month. Someone else might chime in with more experience and either confirm this idea, or provide more insight.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just keep the carbon out unless you need it. I toss carbon in if I frag, during dino blooms or I am concerned about a chemical exposure (gf soldered near the tank, magnet case split, ect). I think I remember something about it leaching phosphates in the water.

If you need it I would replace every month.

rynosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon usefulness in buffering water, removing yellowing pigments, and general toxins is used up pretty quickly, which is why it's typically recommended to replace it every 2-4 weeks. It's not a product one would use to reduce nitrates or other organic nutrients. If it has been in there for months then it's definitely used up, and now is likely just a place your nitrifying bacteria have populated. You can certainly remove it, and if you choose to, replace with new carbon. Carbon isn't a must have imo, but I do like it for water clarity and as a safety measure if something toxic gets in the water.

OP
OP
Reefer37

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha! I'll try and swap it out this weekend then. You think I should keep the Chemi-pure or remove? That was what I wasn't sure might be affecting nitrates.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha! I'll try and swap it out this weekend then. You think I should keep the Chemi-pure or remove? That was what I wasn't sure might be affecting nitrates.
Post about your system. Give lots of details, including all hardware and inhabitants.
Then you'll get lots of good info from members about keeping or removing your carbon and Chemipure

rynosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I see. Well, as someone else mentioned definitely share more about your tank so we know the advice is right for your situation.

I haven’t personally used chemi-pure before, but I believe it’s a packaged/name brand (and therefore pricier) activated carbon, with chemi-pure elite adding some gfo for phosphate. So no... I doubt chemi-pure will have much of an effect on nitrates.

If nitrates are a concern this is a great article to check out!

And if you do want to use activated carbon for it’s other benefits, a cheaper route would be to just get some ROX carbon from BRS and put it in a filter bag.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I recommend chemipure blue and you can change out every 60-90 days

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back