Should I clean this coral

Vg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to do a water change and notice the coral has some brown fungas attached is the healthy or should I be removing it the coral comes out still but not as much as it use to.

IMG_20200330_190848.jpg

OP
OP
Vg1

Vg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So reading up do you think it is diatoms as I'm still in the first month of my tank setup.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So reading up do you think it is diatoms as I'm still in the first month of my tank setup.
Because your tank is new this looks like it might be the "uglies," maybe a type of algae. I would try to clean it up by blowing it off first. Then again, if I understand your comments about not opening up fully, I would also consider dipping it and making sure it is placed appropriately in terms of light, flow, etc. Frankly, it does not look healthy right now. Good luck. BTW, is this a Cyphastrea?

OP
OP
Vg1

Vg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I not entirely sure what type it is tbh i was told it's a good starter coral. I have moved it higher on the rock closer to the light recently onto a flatter spot could that be an issue? Iv put an image of it last week if it help identifying

IMG-20200323-WA0000.jpg

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on your two pictures it might be dead and decaying. Lift it out of water if you have a strong sulphur smell it is dead. If that is the case dispose of it immediately and check your ammonia levels...you don't want to kill the fish. Good luck

OP
OP
Vg1

Vg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on your two pictures it might be dead and decaying. Lift it out of water if you have a strong sulphur smell it is dead. If that is the case dispose of it immediately and check your ammonia levels...you don't want to kill the fish. Good luck
I will give it a smell it still seems to be coming out just not as much I have ordered some coral food to see if that could help bring it back.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP (green star polyp) will close up when moved and might take days to reopen. Don't feed it. I don 't exactly know what it feeds on to supplement what it gets from its zooxanthellae, but I suspect it's microscopic in the water column and that stuff grows in abundance as the tank matures. I've never seen it feed on anything my other corals eat.

fwiw, my first go with GSP look great for a month the suddenly it began to shut down and died. My parameters were resting right in range and I never could figure out why I couldn't keep it alive even though it's such a hardy coral that a lot of reefers treat it as if it were crab grass on a putting green.

Since then, GSP has grown very nicely in my tank.

Keep blowing the brown stuff off. Healthy corals are usually good at keeping bad stuff from settling on them, so your concern is justified.

As long as your tank water is good (ie parameters in your target range), give it a few more days. If it's a goner, so be it. That won 't be your last. Don't beat your self over it and stay the course with good tank husbandry.

I had a thread once about the so called easy to keep corals we were embarrassed to admit that we couldn't keep live. It turned out to be a pretty big support group.

I recognize this is anecdotal. Perhaps someone might be able to provide more scientific based advice.

OP
OP
Vg1

Vg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Mike I will keep an eye on my parameters hopefully I can turn it around but if not it's a learning curve thanks for taking the time to comment

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's Green Star Polyp (GSP). I've had mine close up for weeks(yes weeks) and then open back up. Everytime I move it, it stays closed for a while. I never feed mine and it grows like a weed. It doen't like anything on it's purple mat so blow the brown stuff off and leave it alone.

As I typed this I see NS Mike D said about the same thing, He's right on.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is opening back up then it’s still alive. (Now what’s next-)

I know you are new so I’ll give my best guess advice:
Don’t keep moving the coral around. If it’s going to live in your tank it will have the best chance if it sits where it’s at so it can make internal adjustments one time before it starts growing . Substrate settler Corals in the wild generally attach and grow in one place and do not move around. Give it one place with reasonable conditions (stable water chemistry & temperatures) and wait a few months and it could grow and attach to the neighborhood rocks.

I don’t know what light source it is under or how much water movement is swirling around in your tank? Generally having an acceptable proven light source for coral and water moving around the tank are the only other needs that you need to consider for star polyps to succeed in a captive reef.

If a water stream from the powerhead is pointing directly at the frag that might cause it to not open. Corals can handle lots of water motion but they might close up under a nozzle blast.

Keep your hands out of the tank, don’t continue to make adjustments trying to fix things. Feed the clownfish sparingly and you will probably get more growth than you can imagine from the frag and the fish.

HTH. :)

OP
OP
Vg1

Vg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is opening back up then it’s still alive. (Now what’s next-)

I know you are new so I’ll give my best guess advice:
Don’t keep moving the coral around. If it’s going to live in your tank it will have the best chance if it sits where it’s at so it can make internal adjustments one time before it starts growing . Substrate settler Corals in the wild generally attach and grow in one place and do not move around. Give it one place with reasonable conditions (stable water chemistry & temperatures) and wait a few months and it could grow and attach to the neighborhood rocks.

I don’t know what light source it is under or how much water movement is swirling around in your tank? Generally having an acceptable proven light source for coral and water moving around the tank are the only other needs that you need to consider for star polyps to succeed in a captive reef.

If a water stream from the powerhead is pointing directly at the frag that might cause it to not open. Corals can handle lots of water motion but they might close up under a nozzle blast.

Keep your hands out of the tank, don’t continue to make adjustments trying to fix things. Feed the clownfish sparingly and you will probably get more growth than you can imagine from the frag and the fish.

HTH. :)
that sounds great I will leave it alone and I think I have good lighting and water movement so it's just me that effecting it I will take all your advice thanks everybody I really appreciate that you continue to help.

OP
OP
Vg1

Vg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that sounds great I will leave it alone and I think I have good lighting and water movement so it's just me that effecting it I will take all your advice thanks everybody I really appreciate that you continue to help.

Just an update the coral is getting better everyday and iv even added more now the tank is calming down and not so much in the ugly stage anymore thanks for the advise. Also have ordered my self a turkey baster

IMG_20200412_203244.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 69 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back