Should I downgrade?

OP
OP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disagree on this last part, i have multiple tanks and kept many sizes over the years and bigger tanks are without a doubt harder. Sure water chemistry etc is more stable but you are still eventually going to get issues like GHA/Dinos/Aiptasia etc and when you do they are 1000% times harder to fix. There is no taking rock out and scrubbing or rip cleaning. Manual removal can take hours in tank only for it to pop back up the next day. It's just so much harder to correct issues. A 100% water change and rip clean on a 50g tank is a few hours, a 100% water change and deep cleaning on a 500g is a few days.

I like the idea someone else threw out, if it's stressing you out turn it into a fowlr and get a smaller tank for reef keeping
This has been my personal experience too, every other tank I've had besides this one had little to no drama, realistically I don't think I'd keep two tanks if I were to downgrade.
I really don't mind downgrading BUT selling my bigger fish just feels wrong to me lol I love my yellow tang, here in Australia it's always been an expensive fish I got him for $170 aud before the ban and he really was a dream fish of mine... I'm just unsure what to do :/

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of bacteria was the problem

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been my personal experience too, every other tank I've had besides this one had little to no drama, realistically I don't think I'd keep two tanks if I were to downgrade.
I really don't mind downgrading BUT selling my bigger fish just feels wrong to me lol I love my yellow tang, here in Australia it's always been an expensive fish I got him for $170 aud before the ban and he really was a dream fish of mine... I'm just unsure what to do :/
Go fowlr then, nice thing is you can always go back. I stopped reefing for a while in my 500g and now I'm back and I'm glad I kept my setup. Fowlr is easier to fix because you don't have to worry about things like fluc or other chemicals killing coral. No dosing, less water changes etc.

OP
OP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of bacteria was the problem
I believe Cyano, I don't have a microscope to get confirmation though
20230128_115516.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you this is helping very much

How long after the move did that establish, I'm assuming it was all in balance before the move

OP
OP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you this is helping very much

How long after the move did that establish, I'm assuming it was all in balance before the move
Yeah, the tank before was in pretty good health.
I can't exactly remember when I first started getting cyano but I'd say within a couple of months (maybe 4 or 5)
This problem has been an on going battle where I "get rid" of it for a couple of months then it comes back and we repeat it all over again

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless it's too expensive or just too much of a PITA to have a larger tank I'd stay with the bigger one.

More water = More Stability
I agree, however - more stability also equals slower response time.
So when fixing problems, it is essentially harder to influence the water chemistry, and thus also to assess the correct path in a reasonable matter of time.

For me, it was mostly noticeable when I moved from a nano to a 132g system, but also when I moved once again to a 206g system as well.

That being said, it's not terribly harder either. Just a different, more calm approach to reef keeping.

OP
OP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, however - more stability also equals slower response time.
So when fixing problems, it is essentially harder to influence the water chemistry, and thus also to assess the correct path in a reasonable matter of time.

For me, it was mostly noticeable when I moved from a nano to a 132g system, but also when I moved once again to a 206g system as well.

That being said, it's not terribly harder either. Just a different, more calm approach to reef keeping.
I don't disagree with your statement but when does stability start offering diminishing returns?
We know moving from a 55g to a 200g will help with stability but is it that big of a difference moving a 200g to a 120g?

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't disagree with your statement but when does stability start offering diminishing returns?
We know moving from a 55g to a 200g will help with stability but is it that big of a difference moving a 200g to a 120g?
My point was more about the fact that stability can function as a double edged sword.

It’s a bell curve in terms of comfort:
Lower stability == easier to make changes, get feedback, repeat, but also harder keep them in place.

Higher stability == When everything is fine you don’t need to do much, but you need to keep an eye to catch trends early on because otherwise it’ll be a lot harder to manipulate later.

Medium stability == Best of both worlds.

IMO 206g was a turning point for me towards the right side of curve - it became slightly harder to make changes.
It’s not a very big difference, but it is noticeable.

OP
OP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: I've decided to sell and downgrade.

Want to start off by saying I do love the reefing hobby but I've been feeling a bit overwhelmed by the ongoing expenses that can add up quickly with a larger tank, such as the cost of electricity, filters, media, food, additives and salt for the water changes.

Also maintaining a larger tank requires more time and energy, even doing regular water changes and cleaning are becoming more of a chore than a source of relaxation or entertainment, I have this nostalgia for my older tanks that I just enjoyed more.

By downsizing my tank, I'll be able to save money and just appreciate my little slice of the ocean.
It's funny it almost feels blasphemous but I really do believe this is for the best for me.

Now on to picking what want I want, and if anyone wants to help give me any advise I'd much appreciate it!
me and my partner are thinking an AIO such as the Waterbox 35.2

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disagree on this last part, i have multiple tanks and kept many sizes over the years and bigger tanks are without a doubt harder. Sure water chemistry etc is more stable but you are still eventually going to get issues like GHA/Dinos/Aiptasia etc and when you do they are 1000% times harder to fix. There is no taking rock out and scrubbing or rip cleaning. Manual removal can take hours in tank only for it to pop back up the next day. It's just so much harder to correct issues. A 100% water change and rip clean on a 50g tank is a few hours, a 100% water change and deep cleaning on a 500g is a few days.

I like the idea someone else threw out, if it's stressing you out turn it into a fowlr and get a smaller tank for reef keeping

pretty much agree with this. I find larger tanks more work and harder to fix if something major goes wrong.

It’s just easy when you say have only 25g and a handful of rock you can simply remove and target problems and fix in literally a few hours.

The whole bigger is better might have been true in the 80s or 90s? But we have all the equipment like leds, tiny reactors, skimmers, whatever you want for small tanks without previous issues like heat (having to use MH on a nano?) and so on.

The bigger is better is mostly old advice that won’t really die.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: I've decided to sell and downgrade.

Want to start off by saying I do love the reefing hobby but I've been feeling a bit overwhelmed by the ongoing expenses that can add up quickly with a larger tank, such as the cost of electricity, filters, media, food, additives and salt for the water changes.

Also maintaining a larger tank requires more time and energy, even doing regular water changes and cleaning are becoming more of a chore than a source of relaxation or entertainment, I have this nostalgia for my older tanks that I just enjoyed more.

By downsizing my tank, I'll be able to save money and just appreciate my little slice of the ocean.
It's funny it almost feels blasphemous but I really do believe this is for the best for me.

Now on to picking what want I want, and if anyone wants to help give me any advise I'd much appreciate it!
me and my partner are thinking an AIO such as the Waterbox 35.2

hey don’t feel guilty. I ran only nanos for almost 13 years. Some people only keep picos. There is no need to have a big tank if that isn’t your desire. Honestly you can find really cool small critters to enjoy in a nano that get lost in a big tank. There are many wonderful active small fish too.

One of my favorites is the Greenbanded goby because it’s sooo active and interactive, they can be kept in groups and will spawn readily.

Little crabs and shrimp like the Pom Pom, anemone crabs, sexy shrimp or tiny cleaners are really fun to watch as well in the smaller tanks without having an impact on bioload.

If you are into things like tangs or angels, they have the cherub Pygmy that can fit in 30-40g. Like most angels, they can be a bit rude so I would add them last.

OP
OP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey don’t feel guilty. I ran only nanos for almost 13 years. Some people only keep picos. There is no need to have a big tank if that isn’t your desire. Honestly you can find really cool small critters to enjoy in a nano that get lost in a big tank. There are many wonderful active small fish too.

One of my favorites is the Greenbanded goby because it’s sooo active and interactive, they can be kept in groups and will spawn readily.

Little crabs and shrimp like the Pom Pom, anemone crabs, sexy shrimp or tiny cleaners are really fun to watch as well in the smaller tanks without having an impact on bioload.

If you are into things like tangs or angels, they have the cherub Pygmy that can fit in 30-40g. Like most angels, they can be a bit rude so I would add them last.
Thanks, Yeah honestly I'm just happy with a pair of clowns tbh lol.

I'm not looking forward to selling everything because I know we'll have some hassle along the way but I am really excited to set up a new tank!

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pretty much agree with this. I find larger tanks more work and harder to fix if something major goes wrong.

It’s just easy when you say have only 25g and a handful of rock you can simply remove and target problems and fix in literally a few hours.

The whole bigger is better might have been true in the 80s or 90s? But we have all the equipment like leds, tiny reactors, skimmers, whatever you want for small tanks without previous issues like heat (having to use MH on a nano?) and so on.

The bigger is better is mostly old advice that won’t really die.

Fully agree. Large tanks do offer a bit more stability, but also more work for sure. I've found 3' tanks to be the sweet spot personally.

Back