Should I get a little urchin?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I planned on going to the fish store T o get an an anemone but now I see these cute little pincushion urchins! Should I get one? I have a 20 gallon tank with 4 fish and a starfish. It isn’t going to starve is it?
416C4621-8ECA-4B5F-9677-FF9F1AE7D325.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I planned on going to the fish store T o get an an anemone but now I see these cute little pincushion urchins! Should I get one? I have a 20 gallon tank with 4 fish and a starfish. It isn’t going to starve is it?
416C4621-8ECA-4B5F-9677-FF9F1AE7D325.jpeg
You could get one however…
image.jpg

Also one of my two did manage to kill a Possum Wrasse in the past (Still unknown how they got hold of the possum though).

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
image.jpg

Also one of my two did manage to kill a Possum Wrasse in the past (Still unknown how they got hold of the possum though).
I got the little guy he’s so cute!!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the little guy he’s so cute!!
They’re truly worth it, I made mine seem bad (But I just have a big grudge with mine haha).
But seriously, I love my two with their algae eating abilities :)

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there isn't sufficient algae including coraline they will starve. If you are trying to establish coraline they will eat it and grind a layer off your rocks so they appear white when done. However, they are quite useful part of the cleaner crew.

Goby Bryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering... I have a 13.5g tank with 4 fish and snails. I have loads of coraline and a bit of algae. Can I get one of them? They’re adorable.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there isn't sufficient algae including coraline they will starve. If you are trying to establish coraline they will eat it and grind a layer off your rocks so they appear white when done. However, they are quite useful part of the cleaner crew.
Honestly, I feed mine sheets of nori every so often whilst waiting for algae growth and it seems to help them both a ton.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I feed mine sheets of nori every so often whilst waiting for algae growth and it seems to help them both a ton.
I hate putting that stuff in my tank. It ends up sending small pieces floating everywhere. I have 3 in my tank now for 6 months and they find what they need.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urchin won’t kill a fish.
This guy did, decided to keep me up late at night listening to it too. The possum had somehow been cornered and the urchin being an opportunistic hunter decides to take his chance.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate putting that stuff in my tank. It ends up sending small pieces floating everywhere. I have 3 in my tank now for 6 months and they find what they need.
I personally don’t mind it as my other fish will eat the leftovers. But I can understand how annoying they can be.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

How do you know it killed the wrasse? Was the fish covered in spines? I don't know how it's possible for one to kill a fish unless the fish basically got smashed into it and died.

Ps I'm not calling you out I'm just genuinly curious lol

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pincushions will get a big bit for that size tank but it's possible. I doubt you will have coralline with that urchin. I have too many urchins lol

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know it killed the wrasse? Was the fish covered in spines? I don't know how it's possible for one to kill a fish unless the fish basically got smashed into it and died
The fish was very much being eaten by the urchin and the fish slept under where the urchin was.

I will also say, that fish was extremely healthy and thriving in the tank. Nothing I can think of could’ve made the fish sick/die between a few minutes of me seeing it swimming around and then hearing the urchin munch on it.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that would have been an interesting site to see
It was… wish I could find the photo I got (I was half asleep and couldn’t see what it was so I took a photo to try see it better).

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back