Should i keep my tank?

fisherc92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im moving from cleveland to columbus ohio and am debating bringing my tank inhabitants on a almost 2 hour drive.

Its a 40Gal AIO barebottom thats been running a year.
I have 8 fish - 2 clowns, firefish, flamehawk, cardinal, and 3 chromis.
I have a urchin and a bunch of snails and crabs. ive seen some bristle and spaghetti worms
I have about 50 coral frags. Some turned into colonies encrusting rock and my barebottom.
--- half are zoas, a scoly, cheap lps, couple cheap sticks, shrooms, 8 gonis i love.

input from someone moving that long? ive been watching some tank relocation vids and am in debate of selling and restarting.is it to far

Coral Winslow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find a LFS near your new place, take all the coral and fish and see if they will hold them for you, move all your equipment and get it setup right, then once your tank is back to stable go back to the LFS for your livestock. Most are willing to for a charge, it’s a good way to earn a customer.

OP
OP
fisherc92

fisherc92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me ask this. if i took my fish and put them into one of my 10gal brutes will they survive if i just keep temp correct? Will they need some sort of o2 since they wont be bagged?
im thinking grab some bags and rubber bands and indivually bag some frags. itll help bring some tank water while trasporting them safely.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you sell the tank you still have to take it down, then set Up a new one when you restart.

If you move it you have to take down the tank and set it up at your new place.

Same amount of work involved, Do you want the stuff you have now or new stuff? That's pretty much it

OP
OP
fisherc92

fisherc92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you sell the tank you still have to take it down, then set Up a new one when you restart.

If you move it you have to take down the tank and set it up at your new place.

Same amount of work involved, Do you want the stuff you have now or new stuff? That's pretty much it
i hear that its more of losing livestock at what point does that become something that happens and i did have to ask above mostly about the fish aspect. i know coral can be good days in a bag. what about fish in a bucket lol

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved 1:15 across Columbus to the other side. 200 gallons. I used a Rubbermaid container and a hang on back filter for about 2 weeks. Lost some coral. Fish and critters were fine.

Everyone is back in their spot. If you don't move and bring those frags to Columbus ! Eek

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i hear that its more of losing livestock at what point does that become something that happens and i did have to ask above mostly about the fish aspect. i know coral can be good days in a bag. what about fish in a bucket lol
Easy. Battery operated air stone. One pack of D batteries. You can keep him alive indefinitely with water changes.

520aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely keep it. This is a Reasonable size tank to move. You will get 1/2 or less for your equipment and then have to buy it all again down the road

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me ask this. if i took my fish and put them into one of my 10gal brutes will they survive if i just keep temp correct? Will they need some sort of o2 since they wont be bagged?
im thinking grab some back and rubber bands and indivually bag some frags. itll help bring some tank water while trasporting them safely.
If you can aerate they will be grand. But 2 hours is nowt.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep it, I'd make two separate trips. One for your stuff. The other for the tank. Possibly a third trip just for live stuff

Reef - Tripp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imagine that water is filtered from your tank, takes everything into containers, water, stone and creatures, everything except sand if you have it, then clean the tank and install in your new home add the water, stone and creatures, everything will be fine.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back