OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a very similar experience as yours. I've looked over all of the "reasons" people have given to cause this and same as yourself none apply. The general consensus seems to be that my 1yo tank, started with dry rock and sand, just is not mature and stabile enough for stony corals. Yes, I do have coralline algae growth but that doesn't seem to be the definite indication the tank is ready for more difficult specimens.
This might be the case for me as well. My tank is almost 2 years old, but I had to fight disease with reef safe products, that might have had a durable impact on the microfauna.

I guess only time will tell.

Bozburn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be the case for me as well. My tank is almost 2 years old, but I had to fight disease with reef safe products, that might have had a durable impact on the microfauna.

I guess only time will tell.
My tank is just over a year and I have had similar experience as you. All of my SPS I have put in the tank have died off so I stopped adding them for these past few months. Started with dry rock and sand but a few weeks ago I bought 10 lbs of live rock and have since added that to the tank to help with biodiversity. I just bought a few cheap SPS this weekend on the tidal gardens sale to put in there and see if I am able to keep them, fingers crossed.

Currently battling dinos, dosing phosphates to get those up since they were real close to bottoming out and dosing MB7 for some bacteria.

Good luck and keep going! I have realized recently this will be a long game and not to freak out/get upset too quick. I hopefully will have beaten the dinos by years end but we will see.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is just over a year and I have had similar experience as you. All of my SPS I have put in the tank have died off so I stopped adding them for these past few months. Started with dry rock and sand but a few weeks ago I bought 10 lbs of live rock and have since added that to the tank to help with biodiversity. I just bought a few cheap SPS this weekend on the tidal gardens sale to put in there and see if I am able to keep them, fingers crossed.

Currently battling dinos, dosing phosphates to get those up since they were real close to bottoming out and dosing MB7 for some bacteria.

Good luck and keep going! I have realized recently this will be a long game and not to freak out/get upset too quick. I hopefully will have beaten the dinos by years end but we will see.
I think the addition of the live rock was a good move. I started my tank 22 months ago with all live rock. I’ve had bryopsis, cyano, gha but no dinos, I’m currently knocking on wood, and I attribute it to the live rock.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the addition of the live rock was a good move. I started my tank 22 months ago with all live rock. I’ve had bryopsis, cyano, gha but no dinos, I’m currently knocking on wood, and I attribute it to the live rock.
What kind of corals thrive in your tank ? LPS and SPS do okay ?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have softies, lps and a couple easy sps, birdsnest and monti cap.
A33C02AA-0EAC-4820-96F7-82E80DD600E9.jpeg

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first reef tank and it is 22 months old (75 gallons, no sump). I’ve made mistakes and it seems that those mistakes have permanently affected the quality of the water, even though parameters are fine.

Salinity : 1.026
PH : 8.1
Cal : 480
Mag : 1540
Alk : 9.6
Nitrates : 18.4
Phosphate : 0,07
Temp : 78

I have had dinos for about 18 months. Got rid of them 3 times, but they always come back with a vengeance every time I do a WC more than a few gallons. Which is why I can’t just do a huge WC and be done with it. I dose All For Reef every day to make up for it.

I can grow very easy corals, but anything else will die. Sometimes they last a few months but they don’t show much growth and end up dying later. I would like to keep euphyllias and other corals with lots of movement or just nice. But it just doesn’t work.

Here is what I have tried and still have :

1 x GSP
1 x duncan
1 x frogspawn (euphyllia divisa) DEAD
3 x pulsing xenia
2 x green rodactis mushroom
2 x red Actinodiscus mushroom
1 x Discosoma
1 x purple blastomussa DEAD
1 x assorted acan lord DEAD
1 x kryptonite candy cane DEAD
1 x bi-color candy cane DEAD
2 x red acan Bowerbanki DEAD
1 x red goniopora DEAD
1 x green alveopora DYING
1 x green purple tip hammer
1 x myagi tort acropora DEAD
1 x branching gold hammer
2 x green torch DEAD
2 x cristata torch DEAD
1 x rose bud branching hammer DEAD
1 x yellow cyphastrea (bas) DEAD
1 x purple leptastrea DEAD
1 x JF techno cyphastrea DEAD
1 x pipe organ
1 x Hocus pocus lepto DEAD
1 x purple anthelia
1 x pastel yellow favia DEAD
2 x green polyp porites DEAD
2 x tropic thunder montipora frag DEAD
1 x green nepthea coral
1 x bird’s nest

Anemones
1 x rainbow bubble tip anemone

Fish and inverts are doing well.

My question : would starting over fix this problem that makes me feel like quitting altogether ? If not, what should I do ?

I would empty the tank and keep the rocks, corals inverts and fish alive in tubs. Then get rid of the sand and replace with new one, maybe just 1 inch instead of 3 inches like I have now.

Replace 100% of the water with fresh salt water made of RODI. Put everything back in, all on the same day hopefully.

Thanks !

There’s already a lot of great advice in this thread. OP, just remember we look at our tanks very critically and will likely never be completely happy with them. Your tank is very nice and I don’t think tearing it down is the best bet.

One thing that helped me get rid of Dino when it showed up was live rock enhance. It may be worth a try considering it’s fairly cheap and low effort to try.

djryan2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You posted good water chemistry levels but how much flux to each experience during every 24 hour period?

Crazy if you restart that.
I think it also helps if there is a graph of a trend. For example we may view this different if a week ago OP had an alk of 7.2 and nitrates >50ppm and completed an 80% water change to get to current parameters.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that helped me get rid of Dino when it showed up was live rock enhance. It may be worth a try considering it’s fairly cheap and low effort to try.
Not in Canada. It’s practically impossible to find, and if you do, the cost is prohibitive.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 month period showing zero phosphate, but now recovered.
Below 7 dkh in October 23, but again, currently fine.
It wasn’t truly zero, but low. This is a period where I couldn’t test phosphate because high levels of silicate give false results on Hanna ULR phosphate tester.

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked out your website. Do you quarantine your fish at all? If so, what procedure do you follow?
We had been qt’ing all fish last year but not at the moment. All fish on Tankstop have been kept in copper, and went thru a prazi bath along with being fed daily and are treated each day. The fish still need to be fully Conditioned to be safe and wise. I will send you healthy fish and communicate with you on your order!

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the pouch and did a first PAR assessment. Please forgive me, I can’t draw a correct rectangle…

I am going to do some research but at first glance I don’t have enough PAR. What do you think ?

Bottom : 30-90
High bottom : 150-182
Low middle : 216
Top : 300-320

Maybe I’ll do a separate post if I don’t get enough visibility here.

1692566987143.jpeg

eta : I’ve done some research and it seems Euphyllia corals like between 100-150 PAR. So my schedule would be okay as it is.

Let’s wait for the ICP test to show if there is anything to correct within the parameters. If not, then I’ll conclude my tank needs more maturing even though it’s almost 2 years old. Or that LPS just don’t like it…

Last edited:

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think I saw this mentioned in any of the posts, do you have a UV Sterilizer? This will certainly help prevent any new dinos from growing. If not, run the UV at high flow and scoop or siphon out the dinos at your next WC.
Yes I have a 40W Pentair but it's not plumbed directly from the tank as you would for dinos. I however have only had prorocentrum and SCA which are not treatable with UV like ostreopsis and coolia.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update : I am still waiting for the ICP test but this thread has helped me appreciate my tank again and I want to thank everyone for it. :)

What’s new :

- I have added 2 new fish (last ones) in the tank.
- I have started doing small but regular water changes (about 20 gallons so far).
- I’ve added 3 rock flower anemone and planning to add 4-5 more (I really like them).

And, it might all be in my head, but corals seem happier ! So I’m looking forward to seeing more improvements in the next months.

7of9

Resistance is Futile.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update : I am still waiting for the ICP test but this thread has helped me appreciate my tank again and I want to thank everyone for it. :)

What’s new :

- I have started doing small but regular water changes (about 20 gallons so far).
- I’ve added 3 rock flower anemone and planning to add 4-5 more (I really like them).

And, it might all be in my head, but corals seem happier ! So I’m looking forward to seeing more improvements in the next months.
I'm so glad you didn't start over! I can't wait to see new tank pics. Congratulations!!!!!

RFA's are Sooooo pretty!

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What’s new :

Glad to hear! RFAs are addicting, every time I buy one I say this is my last and then I go to my LFS and see a new cool color and I leave with it.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are my ICP test results :

1) What I need to dose, compared to the test I did last october :
1693842602791.jpeg

2) The results :
1693842804424.jpeg

1693842631554.png

1693842658407.png

1693842685785.jpeg

1693842709875.jpeg

The test tells you what to do with every element that needs to be fixed. I have ordered all the missing elements and will dose according to the ICP test results.

I have also ordered anti-rust paint for my DIY aquarium lid (made with aluminum window kit) that started leaching.

I have already implemented small weekly WC (6%) and will continue doing so.

The PH is low at 7.7 but I’m not too sure what to do about that. Do I even need to try to fix it ? My test results at home are 8.11 and ICP test last year agreed. I don’t know why it’s different this year.

Anything else that strikes you ?

KTTX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting over is not really the cure. I have seen dinos on many frags from major vendors. Even on pictures when they do coral auctions and online sale. You can get it from a frag you purchase at a LFS or from another person.

So many ways to get it in your tank.

Is there really a solution? Is there a frag dipping product that really cleans frags that may have it?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back