Should I switch them?

180galreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question, I have 2 pairs of clowns in my breeding set up that I am considering switching one out with the other. I have 2 large snowflakes, they were sold to me by a LFS that always has nice clowns. I know for a fact they were "bonded" when I bought them and they have been together for months/year. They are large, both close to 3 inches one is slightly larger than the other but not by much. The others are snow onyx, they are younger and closer to 1.5 and 2 inches. They are not quite bonded but more or less hang out together. Both pairs have been in the breeding system for a few months with no eggs yet. My question is should I switch one big one with a little one and see if they lay eggs? I'm not sure how the whole switching sex's works at this stage. Any thoughts?

Mr Cob

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not good idea. I would guess that one of the fish in the smaller pair has already changed to female if they have been together for awhile without any other fish. Now, if you had two known males that were small then they would make good specimens to pair up with each of your larger snowflakes. Obviously you have a male and female snowflake but the male, since he is large would convert to female.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 184 72.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back