Should we rethink and refine means and methods for cycling tanks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to be consistent - use the quote feature or no one knows what youre talking about:)
That goes for everyone jeez guys.
Right we can argue to the point we are blue in the face. No point in beating each other up, or insulting each other. Sorry you all felt belittled. I don't see it that way. Just going to leave it alone now ok?

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try this;
Thank you sir;) Glad you haven't bailed.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try this;
Dude I didn't even speak in that thread haha.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You spoke in this thread literally bashing work threads. You and MNFISH1
You admittingly never even bother to look at the work thread. Its been linked at least 5-10 times now.
Now your insulting mine and everyone else intelligence that's been here reading along.
Again

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dont worry - it got messed up at post number 2 in that thread.
SORRY - that will seem 'mean' - but it remains my opinion

Last edited:

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You spoke in this thread literally bashing work threads. You and MNFISH1
You admittingly never even bother to look at the work thread. Its been linked at least 5-10 times now.
Now your insulting mine and everyone else intelligence that's been here reading along.
Again
overruled.gif I admit i will at least look at it,

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Considering I’ve only got one person on “mute” and can’t see posts 2 and 3, I’m sure I’m not missing anything I haven’t read a hundred times before :)
I did change my post above - to say 'SORRY - that will seem 'mean' - but it remains my opinion'

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
overruled.gif I admit i will at least look at it,
Ok so I've politely asked you not to conversate with me. I dont particularly care what you do at this point but I'd appreciate you not address me again.
I've been asked to report the trolling am I going to need to do that with you?
Your not going to destroy my thread.
Its way too significant to allow at this point.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do what you want I don't have time for this. When you quote me or mention me. Do you not expect me to reply? Just going to leave it at that. Ok good bye. I tried to say earlier.
I think he was agreeing with you.

b breef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for bumping that post. That was an extremely helpful post from @ClownWrangler
I think you can safely say that if its wet and comes from the ocean it "alive"
I have some arag alive in my tank and critters love it. There are other options out there as well I think gulfliverock.com and a cpl others sell another option for sand from ocean.
Yeah I thought so too… seems like there’s a lot of discussion all around right now on cycling. Plus I’m having som trouble getting mine to finish. I already have some corals and inverts but had a fish die in about 12 hrs when I added him.
my fault because I got impatient. My ammonia read 0 a few days but then was .25 when he died.
im just reading a lot more and waiting. I feed my feed reef roids each day and my duncan mysis shrimp some and my snails and conch are continuously eating on the substrate. Toadstool,Duncan , favia, rhodactis are doing great. Psammacora is not so much.
I guess these corals don’t mind a little ammonia?
Anyway…. Yes I found this string of posts interesting
Thanks
bb

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I thought so too… seems like there’s a lot of discussion all around right now on cycling. Plus I’m having som trouble getting mine to finish. I already have some corals and inverts but had a fish die in about 12 hrs when I added him.
my fault because I got impatient. My ammonia read 0 a few days but then was .25 when he died.
im just reading a lot more and waiting. I feed my feed reef roids each day and my duncan mysis shrimp some and my snails and conch are continuously eating on the substrate. Toadstool,Duncan , favia, rhodactis are doing great. Psammacora is not so much.
Thanks
bb
It’s possible without knowing anything else that the death had nothing to do with the cycle

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s possible without knowing anything else that the death had nothing to do with the cycle
Pa sorry about the death of your fiah

OP
OP
LRT

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
bb
I know quite a few folks that are dosing fuge with ammonia. Its always present to some degree. Its how quickly your tank cycles it out and continues to cycle it out is key here.
So many things could have gone wrong and would be hard to remotely address without knowing.
So you had 0 ammonia, got a fish, it died and your ammonia spiked?
How long was fish dead in tank before you found it?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tip
If you have possibility to measure nitrite - do that. Not because nitrite is toxic but if it goes near zero you know that the nitrification cycle is completed and the risk for ammonia spikes is minimal if you not increase your feeding to much,

As @MnFish1 said - you can´t rule out other reasons for the fish death than an ammonia spike.

Sincerely Lasse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back