Show me your mounted Apex controller!!!

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOW DO YOU HAVE THE FIRE DISPLAY CONNECTED TO THE APEX SYSTEM?

It's not "connected" to the Apex per se. I just use the tablet to view and use the Fusion program online via Wifi.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It's not "connected" to the Apex per se. I just use the tablet to view and use the Fusion program online via Wifi.

Ahhh - got you, so I need the Neptune display anyway for setup and adjustments.

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've noticed alot of the setups here have 1 or more regular power bars included. What type of units would you plug into them and what's the reasoning behind it? Do you then plug the powerbar into one of the controlled outlets on the EB8 to control the bar as a single unit? I'm just laying mine out and would like some advice from those that have already done it.
Thanks in advance!

Hi @Dave Mazzocca ,

There are a few different things I would plug into a regular per strip. Some of these things would be:

1. Wirelessly controlled equipment, such as Radions, or Vectra's. I plug these sort of devices into a regular power strip because I don't want to use an EB832 outlet for them. They don't need "on/off" control because they are wirelessly controlled. And these devices should always be powered, unless performing maintenance or repair.

2. Redundant equipment that is not wirelessly controlled such as my Tunze 6025 and 6085 pumps. In my case I have two of each. I will plug two of these into one regular power strip, and the other two into another regular power strip. I would then plug each of these two regular power strips into an EB832 outlet. This way the four pumps only take up two EB832 outlets instead of four.

3. Apex modules that require outlet power. These do not need on/off control, and ideally will always stay energized. I plug these into a regular power strip that is not connected to an EB832, because I don't want them taking up an EB832 outlet.

It really boils down to this:. My EB832 outlets cost me $30 per outlet. A regular power strip costs $2 per outlet. Because of this, you want to plug anything you can into a regular power strip.

I hope this answers your questions.

Best,

Nathan

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There is very little you can't do using Fusion, but there a few things you need the display for. I do have the Neptune display as well, in case I need it, but I just can't see it well enough to do me any good...lol. That's why I decided to use the extra tablet I had sitting around.

Raptor72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This hobby is full of redundancy, for a good reason.

I’ve had times when Apex Fusion won’t let me change things on the tablet or my phone. The Apex display has always been a good backup to make last minute or emergency adjustments on my outlets.

Raptor72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting a RS 170 which is going in a corner.
e8e30e9f638a7f7379c0f4c5539621b9.jpg

Someone posted this shelf/cabinet earlier and I was wondering where to get it.
8cde3e92fad345613efb411880499329.jpg

In case anyone was wondering, this cabinet can be found online at Target.

Reefinmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby is full of redundancy, for a good reason.

I’ve had times when Apex Fusion won’t let me change things on the tablet or my phone. The Apex display has always been a good backup to make last minute or emergency adjustments on my outlets.

I couldn’t agree more. You can’t always rely on having an internet connection and hard wired control could save a lot of headaches. Even if you never use it to change settings, $100 gets you two audible alarms, display of parameters and a button to active your feed modes. The fact the display comes with the apex jr makes it a great value. For $140 extra you have a 4 outlet controller for your quarantine system or water production.

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful setups, but wondering with all the wires in there place how do you take your pumps out to clean them with out disturbing everything?

JDubb_4051

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Built my own yesterday w/ some spare plywood. Will probably need to paint but honestly doesn't bother me much. I just wanted to get rid of the spider web.

IMG_3938.JPG

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Built my own yesterday w/ some spare plywood. Will probably need to paint but honestly doesn't bother me much. I just wanted to get rid of the spider web.

IMG_3938.JPG
I want to mount to a panel but I'm not sure how to secure the panel to the inside of my stand. I'm trying to avoid screwing into the stand.

Crushed_A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd share a few photos of the finished project. Still have some clean up work to do, but it's finally installed. Sorry for the poor cell phone shots...

The wall side of the peninsula:

Behind the removable access panel and tucked against the wall:

Apex control panel pulled out for access:

Eyes aren't what they used to be, so I utilized a spare tablet for control:

What tablet are you using? I am trying to find one with USB & a separate power supply.

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an older model Samsung tablet I had laying around. I simply use my WiFi network and log on to Fusion with it.

Crushed_A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an older model Samsung tablet I had laying around. I simply use my WiFi network and log on to Fusion with it.
Thanks - I also have a Seney which requires USB connected to it. Hard to find tablets that have two USB ports (cheap ones anyway). Most use the same USB to charge.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - I also have a Seney which requires USB connected to it. Hard to find tablets that have two USB ports (cheap ones anyway). Most use the same USB to charge.
Could you use an USB "Y" adaptor and connect it?

Crushed_A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you use an USB "Y" adaptor and connect it?
I researched that but unfortunately it doesn't work (data vs. power). I just need to do some more research or just use an old laptop perhaps. I like the idea of mounting a tablet though because it looks cool :)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 36 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back