Show me your starfish!

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have they been living together? I have a single serpent star I would get more if they can cohabitate in a 48 gallon reef.

They have been together for years. The only deciding factor is how much food is available. I target feed them a couple of times a week but they probably don't need it. In a 48 gallon you could easily have one or two more provided you consider feeding. I have about 400l and have 6 which have all grown to their expected full size quickly.
The two big green death stars I have share a refugium but get fed shrimp as its a relatively confined space for them, they are getting an upgrade but i'd never put them in a reef as they are too predatory but for two unwanted hitchhikers they are living a great life.

Randy the reef guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm told my orange bisquit star is quite rare, not sure if that's true or not, but I've never seen another for sale. My wife spotted it and had to have it, she named it cheesit lol. He lives in my 65 gallon. He has inspired my wife to agree to a large in wall build as part of a home addition in a couple years!

image.jpeg
I'm interested in these. How long have you had it? What is it eating? I did some Google searches and it said they eat sponges in the ocean, just wondering if they can be happy in captivity. Super cool addition I'm jealous [emoji2]

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in these. How long have you had it? What is it eating? I did some Google searches and it said they eat sponges in the ocean, just wondering if they can be happy in captivity. Super cool addition I'm jealous [emoji2]
I have had him a year next week. He has grown about 25% since I got him, which makes me think he is getting what he needs. I have never target fed him. The rock in the tank came out of a 10 year old tank being torn down and there is a lot of sponge on the undersides of the rock. This tank usually has some cyano to be found along with small amounts of red and green nuisance algae, so not super clean. I have tried to determine what is missing after he moves on from a rock and haven't really been able to find exactly what he is taking. I have a lot of BTA splits and he did end up parked on top of a super small one for a day and that nem disapeared. He has never bothered any of the other dozen nems in the tank so maybe an innocent mistake. When he was new he was parked on top of some generic purple shrooms and I lost a couple so maybe there is more to it. I have noticed the aptasia he passes over are unfazed o_O. Hope that is of some help!

Newstead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My micro brittles spawned twice in the last week so I actually got to see more than just waving legs. Bodies are the diameter of a pencil eraser, each leg is about 1.5 inches.
Two of them climbed the new frogspawn to get as high as possible, one climbed on top of an astrea snail ;-) .

20190105_163608.jpg

20190110_141701.jpg

20190105_163319.jpg

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added an orange striped serpent star over a month ago. Saw it in the bag, saw it in acclimation container, saw it scurry away under a rock... that was the last time I saw it. Lol. I would love to post a picture. I’ve hunted for it with a flashlight at night. Gone gone gone. Wonder if he ended up CUC food.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added an orange striped serpent star over a month ago. Saw it in the bag, saw it in acclimation container, saw it scurry away under a rock... that was the last time I saw it. Lol. I would love to post a picture. I’ve hunted for it with a flashlight at night. Gone gone gone. Wonder if he ended up CUC food.
It should still be there. Our orange is the most cryptic of our 8 brittle starfish.
Saw it 4 times in the past year.
[emoji53]

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have plenty of rock but my scape has less sitting on the sand and more of a vertical setup. They’re suppose to hide UNDER the rock which should make it easier to find. Maybe I’ll get a glimpse of a leg one or these days. In a way... it’s sort of a waste since one hardly sees it. Guess I’ll look for one of the stars pictured here.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Did you say Starfish ??

1585428462219.png

1585428489833.png

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best I could do with short notice! I also have a green brittle in the sump and a red/tan banded serpent in the dt
20200117_202408.jpg

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some folks just refreshed this thread and I realized I last posted about my beautiful red star 14-15 months ago. The same one that I saw for about 30 secs when I admired it in the bag and placed it in the tank. ...and have not seen it since. I'm assuming it's a goner since I haven't seen it since...but again maybe it grew into some monster star in the rocks

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back