Show me your starfish!

Nano man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Merry Xmas everyone, I wanted to start a show me your starfish thread!
Here’s mine: A double sea star (Iconaster longimanus)

4FF05A33-BC65-48E8-8F5E-FE88DEEA1B51.jpeg

4B9346DB-ADBC-4E2C-B80D-2040A4E61FE5.jpeg

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Echinaster spinulosus? Never seen one of those in a reef tank before lol. Has it bothered any of your corals or inverts?

Not a bit at least that I've noticed.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a bit at least that I've noticed.
Interesting, stars in the same genus are usually quite predatory in nature. Good to know cause these are goregous and not expensive from what I've seen

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, stars in the same genus are usually quite predatory in nature. Good to know cause these are goregous and not expensive from what I've seen

Not expensive is correct. My local club does a reef conference and I picked that particular star up from an attending collector/vendor. Quite literally it is one of the least expensive tank inhabitants I've ever purchased...lol. And I do agree, it's a beautiful star.

Royce White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could show it, my banded stays hidden back in the corner of the aquarium and under a rock, I know he is still there because I can see the tips of it's appendages. I think that is what you call them. They say he comes out at night.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s see some more stars!

I had to move two green brittlestars yesterday and you might not want to see them as they are both over 2ft across. Had them from less than an inch each when I found them as hitchhikers. My bro took a picture as he was too scared to hold them for me. I'll see if I can get the pic (probably be a few days).

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pictures make them look smaller because the legs fold over and bend down into the bucket but they are both just over 2ft if you stretched them out. They are also very prickly because their legs are covered in very large stiff spikes.

They were also only briefly out of water and since they both came in on dry live rock I know this causes them no harm whatsoever (they got a nice big shrimp each after which they happily devoured).

IMG_9536.jpg
IMG_9537.jpg

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pictures make them look smaller because the legs fold over and bend down into the bucket but they are both just over 2ft if you stretched them out. They are also very prickly because their legs are covered in very large stiff spikes.

They were also only briefly out of water and since they both came in on dry live rock I know this causes them no harm whatsoever (they got a nice big shrimp each after which they happily devoured).

IMG_9536.jpg
IMG_9537.jpg

Wow...that's just crazy.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back