Jackooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use the 4 o rings like Broadfield says. I don't know if he says where cause I can't find it so I just put one on both sides of the threaded barb.

Yes I did use 4 o rings on each reactor. By you bringing this up makes me wonder if the fitting is not fully screwed in. I will check tonight. Good thought.

sithrico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I asked. They do seem to be harder to screw in with the o rings. Hope that fixes it. I'll have to watch so I can make sure I'm good too.

Brock0019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS GFO is pretty fine grain, check out other Aquamaxx threads to see how people dealt with it. I am planning to use Geo, will report back if I see same issues.

Yes. BRS stuff isn't working for me. It's in the sump and I'm Getting algae blooms and all that nasty brown on my substrate. Going back to rowaphos for sure.

Reigun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After finally finishing my manifold and running it for about two weeks I am having a few issues. Hopefully someone here with same manifold can help me out.

DB24E272-0CC9-4529-A93C-08FD9403F5B0_zpswqc9hf1r.jpg

First I am having a large volume of micro bubbles coming from both reactor outlets which forced me to redo my plumbing and add elbows to go into skimmer chamber. That didn't fix the problem so I added some extra black mesh filter from that came with the reactor to stop the micro bubbles. Any ideas why this is happening ?

89C2D622-5D96-4FD9-AE20-567E510346B4_zps0cya7vzh.jpg

Next issue, which is driving me crazy is everyday I keep seeing GFO spilling out into my sump. I am using BRS GFO so I am not sure if the grains size is to small for this reactor or what. I lowered the flow to the reactor and still the same issue. Any ideas ?

C62302CF-42D4-438A-8273-5E4450D2332E_zpsjdyqhqpy.jpg

I had the same issue with the ROX Carbon and GFO from BRS. The grain size was just too small. Ended up using larger carbon grains and ditching the GFO.

Best bet would be to get better sponges that can handle that grain size.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Guys there are plenty of very fine foams on ebay, 12x12 sheets for like $10-$15. Give it a shot, buy a sheet, cut out a new piece. I used it in the past to block purigen, which is much finer than rox8 successfully.

dirtysock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Reefer 350 finally came in.

However I noticed a problem with my return valve, I'm unable to turn that valve...it seems to be locked.

I don't think that is normal right....I haven't fill my tank yet...although I suppose that has no effect on the valve itself.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

However I noticed a problem with my return valve, I'm unable to turn that valve...it seems to be locked.

I don't think that is normal right....I haven't fill my tank yet...although I suppose that has no effect on the valve itself.
Yeah that doesn't seem right. Mine rotates easily with slight resistance.

Cameron Martinez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They are very easy to take apart you may want to try and see if you spot a problem, If not give them a call and they should send one out to you.
There is a slight resistance to them but nothing that would make it seemed locked up.

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefer 250 owners:

What's your daily evaporation rate? I'm currently loosing about 4.8l a day

dirtysock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that doesn't seem right. Mine rotates easily with slight resistance.

They are very easy to take apart you may want to try and see if you spot a problem, If not give them a call and they should send one out to you.
There is a slight resistance to them but nothing that would make it seemed locked up.

Hey thanks for the help, I took mine apart. Turns out that the diaphragm inside the valve was fully expanded, it's fixed now!

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reefer 250 owners:

What's your daily evaporation rate? I'm currently loosing about 4.8l a day

That seems normal. It's not just about the tank, but ambient temp, how much flow on the surface, air moving around the house, and house humidity. My older 5ft tank (About the size of 525xl) was losing a gallon and a half a day. Colder house, not a lot of surface agitation, 30% humidity.

reeferparty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the help of my beautiful and strong wife, we managed to get the tank on the cabinet. We both thought it was going to be really heavy just from looks. To tell the truth the JBJ is lots heavier than the reefer. I love the look of the tank and cabinet together. Plus, the wife had some starfish decor laying around and hung them up next to the tank. It looks awesome.

For under the cabinet lighting I ordered a 16.5 foot LED strip and hung it on the inner perimeter of the cabinet and installed with 3M command strips. It came with a remote so I hung that on the inside front of the cabinet that way you can push the on button, and the remote isn't sticking out like a sore thumb.

BAM!!WHAT!! Let there be light. I'm very impressed with the lighting. It has double sided tape on the back of the LEDs and made for easy install. It makes it really easy to see what I'm doing inside the cabinet now.

Where did you get the light? Do you have a link?

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any diy out there to replace the filter socks to filter floss holder or some type?? I hate cleaning thr filter floss socks!!!i got the 170 reefer

bump this question... i was thinking of the same thing. maybe the 4" top piece of a filter sock attached to 4" pvc with an end cap on bottom and bunch of holes drilled in it. could drop it right in the existing holder.

could put some other filter media after the floss as well, bag of chemi-pure or gfo, etc...

thoughts??

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ran my tank bare bottom since November, I've tried to keep the bottom clean with little success. It never got super dirty and for the most part all of the debris would settle in 2 locations. Aside from that and wanting to mimic an ocean to the best of my ability I added the sand. I am very glad that I did, it changed the look of the tank dramatically!

First I added a test cup to see how much the water would going to cloud up. To my surprise the Tropic Eden sand did could the water up, but not as bad as I thought. It is also important to note that I did NOT rinse this sand before adding it.
EA44A930-DFB0-470A-AAA6-ED4E7271F736_zpswqg5zfqk.jpg

58E92AEB-84AC-48CA-9E09-065513AC024A_zpsm8vbvyji.jpg

C8F7B412-7382-43E4-BEEA-BA2861213DDB_zpswsqt0fat.jpg

Final results! I added the sand using a 1" PVC pipe a funnel and a measuring cup. I would add a couple cups of sand then use a coral feeder to blow the sand into its place. Using this method turned out to be great, easy and kept my hands 100% out of the water.
D81A247B-E187-4B64-B15C-AA3857781555_zpsriuvpkk5.jpg

To offset the sand that was added to the tank I had to remove about a half a gallon of water. It is also worth mentioning that I bought a 30lbs bag of sand and two 15lbs bags of sand. I didn't even open up one of the 15lbs bags and hardly put a dent in the 30+15lbs bags that I mixed up.

fredjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ran my tank bare bottom since November, I've tried to keep the bottom clean with little success. It never got super dirty and for the most part all of the debris would settle in 2 locations. Aside from that and wanting to mimic an ocean to the best of my ability I added the sand. I am very glad that I did, it changed the look of the tank dramatically!

First I added a test cup to see how much the water would going to cloud up. To my surprise the Tropic Eden sand did could the water up, but not as bad as I thought. It is also important to note that I did NOT rinse this sand before adding it.
EA44A930-DFB0-470A-AAA6-ED4E7271F736_zpswqg5zfqk.jpg

58E92AEB-84AC-48CA-9E09-065513AC024A_zpsm8vbvyji.jpg

C8F7B412-7382-43E4-BEEA-BA2861213DDB_zpswsqt0fat.jpg

Final results! I added the sand using a 1" PVC pipe a funnel and a measuring cup. I would add a couple cups of sand then use a coral feeder to blow the sand into its place. Using this method turned out to be great, easy and kept my hands 100% out of the water.
D81A247B-E187-4B64-B15C-AA3857781555_zpsriuvpkk5.jpg

To offset the sand that was added to the tank I had to remove about a half a gallon of water. It is also worth mentioning that I bought a 30lbs bag of sand and two 15lbs bags of sand. I didn't even open up one of the 15lbs bags and hardly put a dent in the 30+15lbs bags that I mixed up.
Tropic Eden is the best sand I have come across. Love the stuff.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 18.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 124 66.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.2%
Back