sithrico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question. I need to slide my 350 about 1 foot to the right. It's on hard wood (laminate style, not real wood) and I don't mind scratching the floor. My plan is to drain 75-80% of the water, and just slide it over. Any thoughts on this?
Just put saran wrap over the sump and display and slide it over. HAHAHAHA! Just Kidding. Have fun with that sounds like it's not going to be enjoyable. You can do the math and figure out your rock weight, substrate, equipment and water per gallon at 8.4lbs. Maybe that can help with how many pounds you're trying to move. That's my best guess.

reeferparty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question. I need to slide my 350 about 1 foot to the right. It's on hard wood (laminate style, not real wood) and I don't mind scratching the floor. My plan is to drain 75-80% of the water, and just slide it over. Any thoughts on this?

Empty as much water as you can; then slip a carpet under the stand upside down as much as you can and slide away. OR you can run to HD or any home improvement store and get moving sliders. The latter is the method I used when I upgrade my tank that needed to be where the old tank was sitting. Good luck!

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Empty as much water as you can; then slip a carpet under the stand upside down as much as you can and slide away. OR you can run to HD or any home improvement store and get moving sliders. The latter is the method I used when I upgrade my tank that needed to be where the old tank was sitting. Good luck!
How did you get the moving sliders underneath the stand?

AMEE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Maybe you can get those straps that I can slightly lift everything. I wouldn't just push it sideways.

AMEE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you have a skimmer that is sized properly, if it was me, I would do some form of carbon dosing. Probably the easiest approach that doesn't involve adding or modifying equipment.

Dosing nopox was also an idea. But since I don't seem to have a problem yet I was thinking of a more natural approach. I don't think I'm having nutrient problems yet but atleast if I do this it will be slow and ask increase pod population. And if I ever need it I can also do nopox. Either way what ever I do will be reversible.

So far I'm thinking of doing the reef dreams baffle is I can fit it in, will need to do some measuring and remove a reactor I have and put it on the cabinet wall. Another idea is to run the output of my reactor to a refugium in the ato and have it flow out to the return pump. I saw many ideas on this thread yesterday.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my Reefer 250 just over a month ago. I transferred some of my live rock out of my old 17 gallon Mr Aqua tank. I did some simple mods to the 250. I didn't like the black vinyl backing so I removed it. I also upgraded to a 12gal ATO res and using the Red Sea ATO as a Kalk drip. Also to note, I did have an issue with the Red sea drain valve which they wound up replacing. I read other folks having similar issues with stability of the control to dial in the right level of the overflow box. Kudo's to Red Sea and i guess it helps being in TX, the new drain and valve came the next day.

What type of issues did you have with the drain?
I may be having a problem or it's just my new skimmer breaking in. But, the drain valve needs micro adjustments and seems too picky. Every time I adjust my skimmer, I'll have to re-adjust the drain.

reeferparty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you get the moving sliders underneath the stand?

After emptying as much water as possible ~80%. I had help slightly tilting one corner at a time up roughly 1/4" and put the sliders in. Then I slid/pushed from the stand while another person stabilized the tank making sure it doesn't fall over or slip off the stand

Wet_Fretboards

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of issues did you have with the drain?
I may be having a problem or it's just my new skimmer breaking in. But, the drain valve needs micro adjustments and seems too picky. Every time I adjust my skimmer, I'll have to re-adjust the drain.

I also am absolutely DONE fiddling with this ridiculous "valve". This is the classic case of overthinking and over engineering a simple device. People have used Spears style gate valves on drains for years. Probably since the beginning of overflow drains. Why on earth Red Sea wasted the time money and energy developing this thing is beyond me. My next day off work will be spent replacing that pipe with some schedule 40 and a gate.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also am absolutely DONE fiddling with this ridiculous "valve". This is the classic case of overthinking and over engineering a simple device. People have used Spears style gate valves on drains for years. Probably since the beginning of overflow drains. Why on earth Red Sea wasted the time money and energy developing this thing is beyond me. My next day off work will be spent replacing that pipe with some schedule 40 and a gate.

Same here, on my old setups I had durso drain with no valve and I never had a problem. It seems my power heads as they ramp up and down flow at different rates during the day is really giving the Red Sea drain a problem.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

nbagnardi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
finally to a point where I'm done messing with it! for now hahaha

IMG_5305.JPG

IMG_5976.JPG

IMG_5302.JPG

North Borders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrading from a Reefer Nano to a Reefer 250 in a few weeks! What sand should I order?!??!

Wet_Fretboards

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrading from a Reefer Nano to a Reefer 250 in a few weeks! What sand should I order?!??!
I will say I have black, and love it, but the white one is much easier to see inside of when working in the sump, etc. A simple light in the "ceiling" helps, but even then a white stand is still much brighter inside.

Don Lidtke

Some Old Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say I have black, and love it, but the white one is much easier to see inside of when working in the sump, etc. A simple light in the "ceiling" helps, but even then a white stand is still much brighter inside.

I would think the white would also show less salt creep if there was any.

I had thought about being brighter in the sump area, very good point.

With these things in mind, I will switch to the white when I order my system.

sithrico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know I totally read "stand"...... :D:D:D
;Shamefullyembarrased;ShamefullyembarrasedI caught that. I was just covering both sides? He probably did mean stand. That would make more sense on the topic we are in. Hahaha.
I like my black one though. Also, adding the LED strip I did to the top made the inside so bright. You can check it out in my build.

sithrico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone running media in the drain section of the sump?
I'm starting my tank in a couple of days. I was planning on putting my pond matrix and a bag of chemipure blue there. Hoping this would be the highest flow point to get the most out of the chemipure.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 27 22.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 86 71.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back