sithrico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh BTW, while I'm at it. I am going to replace the emergency drain and return. I'm assuming I would be needing same parts, except for a smaller sizes correct?
Yeah, you need the Red Sea part. And the same threaded fitting. If you want a smaller pipe just get the same threaded size with a smaller slip side. I plan on just getting the return and overflow. The emergency can stay hidden in the back.

Zachhll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question for everyone. I'm ordering the Peninsula 650. I am also having a basement filtration room. I'm looking for a return pump for that head height. I really like the idea of a DC for power saving and that it can be internal and save on heating. I'm in upstate NY. The only DC pump that I have seen that is at a reasonable price is the Vectra l1. I'm not against EcoTech they make really nice products. I just don't like the lack of Apex Control. Does anyone know of any other DC pumps that offer apex control that will have around 1500 GPH at 10ft of head. Also i'm looking under $500.

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question for everyone. I'm ordering the Peninsula 650. I am also having a basement filtration room. I'm looking for a return pump for that head height. I really like the idea of a DC for power saving and that it can be internal and save on heating. I'm in upstate NY. The only DC pump that I have seen that is at a reasonable price is the Vectra l1. I'm not against EcoTech they make really nice products. I just don't like the lack of Apex Control. Does anyone know of any other DC pumps that offer apex control that will have around 1500 GPH at 10ft of head. Also i'm looking under $500.

Good luck finding that unicorn.

Zachhll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck finding that unicorn.
Yea thats what im finding. will probably end up with either the Vectra l1 or the Syncra HF 16.0. How about the Reeflo YellowTail Gold? I know some people love external pumps. If you were in my situation which would you all run?

Ivandrago

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

reef octopus varios 8 2700 gph at 18ft head, http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/varios-8-controllable-dc-pump-2700-gph-reef-octopus.html $350

Zachhll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get that information
Right in the pictures on BRS. All pumps rated numbers are at 0ft head.
IMG_0211.PNG

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, what is the maximum flow rate of the Reefer 250 overflow, please? Sicce Syncra Silent 5.0 will work ?

Zachhll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, what is the maximum flow rate of the Reefer 250 overflow, please? Sicce Syncra Silent 5.0 will work ?
Red Sea recommends 660gph. I would assume the max flow is close to that due to pipe sizes. The 5.0 maybe a little overkill. I would go with the 4.0 if your just using it as a return. If your also going to use it for a manifold the 5 would be fine. Here is the flow chart.
IMG_0212.PNG

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea thats what im finding. will probably end up with either the Vectra l1 or the Syncra HF 16.0. How about the Reeflo YellowTail Gold? I know some people love external pumps. If you were in my situation which would you all run?

I used a Reeflo Gold Snapper/Dart external for 2+ years on my big system that was running through the basement walls for remote sump and fuge. I really liked the pump itself, and had virtually no problems with it - the only one was really my fault, and it was because I put the drain nut on too tight and ended up nearly ripping it off with a pair of vicegrips. One thing that I did find out is that the intake on those pumps can be a limiting factor. I changed to a 3" intake instead of a 2" intake pipe for the pump and saw much better flow rates than when I used a 2". Obviously the return plumbing will be the limiting factor, and I didnt have a flow meter to document the increase, but it was visibly greater. The sound of the pump running was audible, but because it was in another room, I didnt really notice. Take care to mount the pipes well, as there is significant vibration from those pumps if the pipes are supported correctly. Other than making sure the pipes were secure, I took the pump apart every 10-12 months, replaced the seals and wiped it all down for maintenance. Never had a problem with it. The guy I sold it to still uses the pump (though he hasnt done any maintenance in over years to it! :eek: )

sithrico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, the overflow looks really big. Doesn't looks like it is only 660 hmm... Thanks again! I'll try. :)
That's because the silencer is close to 4 inches wide yet the true overflow is smaller than that. More like 1 maybe 1.5. Download the manual to the reefer and you'll see what I'm talking about.

AMEE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I'm working on a Red Sea reefer 170 build and was wondering what everyone is using for skimmers? I don't want to spend a ton of money was thinking $200 or less. Also I'm not looking for a skimmer that will take up the whole skimmer section as I will be running a smaller pump also for a cheto reactor I built thanks!

I use a reef octopus 110sss. Works great and doesn't take much space.

Zachhll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have already the 5.0 this is why I'm asking. I will just close it a little in case it is too much. Thanks again.
That should work. But i would recommend adding a gate valve in the return line vs using whats built into the pump for two reasons. It will be much easier to access if you need to adjust the flow. A gate valve has much more fine control over how much flow you are delivering.

RFRMDNESS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my Reefer 250 just over a month ago. I transferred some of my live rock out of my old 17 gallon Mr Aqua tank. I did some simple mods to the 250. I didn't like the black vinyl backing so I removed it. I also upgraded to a 12gal ATO res and using the Red Sea ATO as a Kalk drip. Also to note, I did have an issue with the Red sea drain valve which they wound up replacing. I read other folks having similar issues with stability of the control to dial in the right level of the overflow box. Kudo's to Red Sea and i guess it helps being in TX, the new drain and valve came the next day.

Aquamaxx CONES Q2 skimmer
Reef Octopus Varios2 pump
Vortech MP40qd
AI Hydra 52
Apex Jr.
30lbs live rock

FullSizeRender-3.jpg

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my Reefer 250 just over a month ago. I transferred some of my live rock out of my old 17 gallon Mr Aqua tank. I did some simple mods to the 250. I didn't like the black vinyl backing so I removed it. I also upgraded to a 12gal ATO res and using the Red Sea ATO as a Kalk drip. Also to note, I did have an issue with the Red sea drain valve which they wound up replacing. I read other folks having similar issues with stability of the control to dial in the right level of the overflow box. Kudo's to Red Sea and i guess it helps being in TX, the new drain and valve came the next day.

Aquamaxx CONES Q2 skimmer
Reef Octopus Varios2 pump
Vortech MP40qd
AI Hydra 52
Apex Jr.
30lbs live rock

FullSizeRender-3.jpg

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg
I really like the set up! Looks super clean and sleek, especially the light with the custom mount

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back