Show off what made your addiction

The first is a 6 gallon AIO. I forgot who makes it though. The second is the new Coralland 8 gallon all-in-one by @IOAOI . It's a great little tank.

Very nice! Look like nice little tanks, I do like a nice nano/micro set up. What did you end up stocking them with?

Very nice tank! I found your build thread when I googled it, I like the rock work. Ill have to look through the 139 pages and see some of your updates
 
Very nice! Look like nice little tanks, I do like a nice nano/micro set up. What did you end up stocking them with?


Very nice tank! I found your build thread when I googled it, I like the rock work. Ill have to look through the 139 pages and see some of your updates
Thats a lot of pages. Im too lazy
 
The end...and then the last one I when I first started. I am addicted to corals.
1000015090.jpg
1000015091.jpg
1000015092.jpg
1000015093.jpg
1000014674.jpg

Im jealous of your carpet anemone stuck down in the rock lol I love them but after I had a 12" yellow carpet munch down my vlamingii tang while at work one day I will never have another unless its a dedicated system.

Tank looks great and will bring so much joy once all your corals start growing in! Great job!
 
Im jealous of your carpet anemone stuck down in the rock lol I love them but after I had a 12" yellow carpet munch down my vlamingii tang while at work one day I will never have another unless its a dedicated system.

Tank looks great and will bring so much joy once all your corals start growing in! Great job!
It better not eat my fish..now im going to my feeder tank. Can't have them eating my fish. Id be heart broken.

Thank you for the compliment. Im grateful 🙏
 
Thats a lot of pages. Im too lazy

haha your not wrong! I work nights and bored for hours at times, will give me something to make my night go by

It better not eat my fish..now im going to my feeder tank. Can't have them eating my fish. Id be heart broken.

Thank you for the compliment. Im grateful 🙏

You will have to use cation, I had a pair of Clarkii's in mine and the female was HUGE and mean as they come. Still some how grabbed the tang, once healthy and acclimated their tentacles are sticky and latch on without letting go.

And your welcome!
 
Good idea for a fun thread!

Growing up, my dad always had a reef aquarium. Even as a kid, I enjoyed looking at the exotic life he was able to keep. His setup involved a 150 gallon tank upstairs with a large sump made from a big stock tank he got from a farm good store. Unfortunately during a bad ice storm, we were without power for over a week which resulted in a total loss of his tank. When that happened, he decided to give it up.

About 7 years ago, my dad started to regain interest in owning an aquarium but chose to pursue a 300 gallon African Cichlid tank. This eventually sparked my interest as well to do a freshwater system. I initially wanted a Discus tank because of how beautiful and majestic they look, but ultimately chose to do a 125g planted community tank

IMG_1940.jpeg


After maintaining this tank for awhile, it eventually just sorta took care of it self which made my interest dwindle. To help reignite my passion, I thought it might be fun to do a small 20g planted betta tank upstairs

IMG_4727.jpeg


Again after getting the 20g going, I eventually found my interest weaning. This small tank has so many plants, that even a water change isn’t necessary. The plants absorb all excess phosphate and nitrate produced by the small population of livestock.

Around this time, I decided to start watching the BRS 52 weeks of reefing. I had always been super interested in marine fish and coral ever since my dad’s tank growing up. After finishing the series from BRS, I started watching and consuming all reef aquarium related videos I could find on YouTube. At this point, I knew I REALLY wanted to setup a reef system of my own. Based on everything I had watched and read, a reef aquarium would likely hold my interest where a freshwater system could not.

I spoke with the wife and after approval I started to slowly buy parts for my reef tank. I think I purchased my first piece (3x AI Hydra 32 HD) in the summer of 2023. I’ve always been a go big or go home kinda person and knew I wanted some premium equipment for my build. To make that feasible, I slowly bought and spread out the expenses of the tank equipment etc over the course of a year.

In May 2024, my WaterBox Infinia Reef 150.4 showed up and the rest is history

IMG_2600.jpeg
IMG_2586.jpeg
IMG_2616.jpeg
IMG_2614.jpeg
IMG_2611.jpeg
IMG_2604.jpeg
IMG_2605.jpeg
IMG_2606.jpeg
IMG_2677.jpeg


There has definitely been some hurdles to overcome which has made me question my decision to build the tank, but in the end I am very happy I did. Since building my reef, my dad has also decided to get back into the marine aquarium world and now has a 125g and 60g systems going.

The next step I wanna take in the hobby is getting into some more high end acros. I bought my experimental cheap Acros roughly 6 months ago which were all the size of my thumbnail when I got them. They have seen substantial growth and done well in my system in that time which seems like a good indicator to move onto some more challenging and interesting pieces.
 
Good idea for a fun thread!

Growing up, my dad always had a reef aquarium. Even as a kid, I enjoyed looking at the exotic life he was able to keep. His setup involved a 150 gallon tank upstairs with a large sump made from a big stock tank he got from a farm good store. Unfortunately during a bad ice storm, we were without power for over a week which resulted in a total loss of his tank. When that happened, he decided to give it up.

About 7 years ago, my dad started to regain interest in owning an aquarium but chose to pursue a 300 gallon African Cichlid tank. This eventually sparked my interest as well to do a freshwater system. I initially wanted a Discus tank because of how beautiful and majestic they look, but ultimately chose to do a 125g planted community tank

IMG_1940.jpeg


After maintaining this tank for awhile, it eventually just sorta took care of it self which made my interest dwindle. To help reignite my passion, I thought it might be fun to do a small 20g planted betta tank upstairs

IMG_4727.jpeg


Again after getting the 20g going, I eventually found my interest weaning. This small tank has so many plants, that even a water change isn’t necessary. The plants absorb all excess phosphate and nitrate produced by the small population of livestock.

Around this time, I decided to start watching the BRS 52 weeks of reefing. I had always been super interested in marine fish and coral ever since my dad’s tank growing up. After finishing the series from BRS, I started watching and consuming all reef aquarium related videos I could find on YouTube. At this point, I knew I REALLY wanted to setup a reef system of my own. Based on everything I had watched and read, a reef aquarium would likely hold my interest where a freshwater system could not.

I spoke with the wife and after approval I started to slowly buy parts for my reef tank. I think I purchased my first piece (3x AI Hydra 32 HD) in the summer of 2023. I’ve always been a go big or go home kinda person and knew I wanted some premium equipment for my build. To make that feasible, I slowly bought and spread out the expenses of the tank equipment etc over the course of a year.

In May 2024, my WaterBox Infinia Reef 150.4 showed up and the rest is history

IMG_2600.jpeg
IMG_2586.jpeg
IMG_2616.jpeg
IMG_2614.jpeg
IMG_2611.jpeg
IMG_2604.jpeg
IMG_2605.jpeg
IMG_2606.jpeg
IMG_2677.jpeg


There has definitely been some hurdles to overcome which has made me question my decision to build the tank, but in the end I am very happy I did. Since building my reef, my dad has also decided to get back into the marine aquarium world and now has a 125g and 60g systems going.

The next step I wanna take in the hobby is getting into some more high end acros. I bought my experimental cheap Acros roughly 6 months ago which were all the size of my thumbnail when I got them. They have seen substantial growth and done well in my system in that time which seems like a good indicator to move onto some more challenging and interesting pieces.

Pretty much same story as mine and thats awesome to relate, my dad also started with a 150 gallon If I remember right it was a old school DAS all in 1 tank? Or had some sort of attached filtration on the back so no need for a sump. I love looking at some planted FW tanks! Just never actually tried to make one myself, they look great!

And for your first attempt at a reef tank great job! Your planning and decision making before ever biting the bullet looks to have worked out amazing! I am a HUGE sps fan, you will love bringing in some more challenging pieces and watching them take off
 
Good idea for a fun thread!

Growing up, my dad always had a reef aquarium. Even as a kid, I enjoyed looking at the exotic life he was able to keep. His setup involved a 150 gallon tank upstairs with a large sump made from a big stock tank he got from a farm good store. Unfortunately during a bad ice storm, we were without power for over a week which resulted in a total loss of his tank. When that happened, he decided to give it up.

About 7 years ago, my dad started to regain interest in owning an aquarium but chose to pursue a 300 gallon African Cichlid tank. This eventually sparked my interest as well to do a freshwater system. I initially wanted a Discus tank because of how beautiful and majestic they look, but ultimately chose to do a 125g planted community tank

IMG_1940.jpeg


After maintaining this tank for awhile, it eventually just sorta took care of it self which made my interest dwindle. To help reignite my passion, I thought it might be fun to do a small 20g planted betta tank upstairs

IMG_4727.jpeg


Again after getting the 20g going, I eventually found my interest weaning. This small tank has so many plants, that even a water change isn’t necessary. The plants absorb all excess phosphate and nitrate produced by the small population of livestock.

Around this time, I decided to start watching the BRS 52 weeks of reefing. I had always been super interested in marine fish and coral ever since my dad’s tank growing up. After finishing the series from BRS, I started watching and consuming all reef aquarium related videos I could find on YouTube. At this point, I knew I REALLY wanted to setup a reef system of my own. Based on everything I had watched and read, a reef aquarium would likely hold my interest where a freshwater system could not.

I spoke with the wife and after approval I started to slowly buy parts for my reef tank. I think I purchased my first piece (3x AI Hydra 32 HD) in the summer of 2023. I’ve always been a go big or go home kinda person and knew I wanted some premium equipment for my build. To make that feasible, I slowly bought and spread out the expenses of the tank equipment etc over the course of a year.

In May 2024, my WaterBox Infinia Reef 150.4 showed up and the rest is history

IMG_2600.jpeg
IMG_2586.jpeg
IMG_2616.jpeg
IMG_2614.jpeg
IMG_2611.jpeg
IMG_2604.jpeg
IMG_2605.jpeg
IMG_2606.jpeg
IMG_2677.jpeg


There has definitely been some hurdles to overcome which has made me question my decision to build the tank, but in the end I am very happy I did. Since building my reef, my dad has also decided to get back into the marine aquarium world and now has a 125g and 60g systems going.

The next step I wanna take in the hobby is getting into some more high end acros. I bought my experimental cheap Acros roughly 6 months ago which were all the size of my thumbnail when I got them. They have seen substantial growth and done well in my system in that time which seems like a good indicator to move onto some more challenging and interesting pieces.
Amazing work!! Beautiful tank and corals.
 
Very nice! Look like nice little tanks, I do like a nice nano/micro set up. What did you end up stocking them with?


Very nice tank! I found your build thread when I googled it, I like the rock work. Ill have to look through the 139 pages and see some of your updates
6 gallon was a Clownfish, Peppermint Shrimp, and a Clown Goby. 8 is brand new and settling in. It will likely get a Clown Goby, Hector's or Rainford Goby, maybe a Molly Miller, and I'll go from there I suppose. I'll likely add a Springeri Damsel as well.
 
Amazing work!! Beautiful tank and corals.
Thank you!
Pretty much same story as mine and thats awesome to relate, my dad also started with a 150 gallon If I remember right it was a old school DAS all in 1 tank? Or had some sort of attached filtration on the back so no need for a sump. I love looking at some planted FW tanks! Just never actually tried to make one myself, they look great!

And for your first attempt at a reef tank great job! Your planning and decision making before ever biting the bullet looks to have worked out amazing! I am a HUGE sps fan, you will love bringing in some more challenging pieces and watching them take off
Thank you! Yeah, I’m excited to give the higher end stuff a go. I also need to start fragging up some of my LPS soon since they’re starting to run out of room in their areas
 
Thank you!

Thank you! Yeah, I’m excited to give the higher end stuff a go. I also need to start fragging up some of my LPS soon since they’re starting to run out of room in their areas

Your welcome! And im sure its always exciting to get some sexy looking acros lol If your in Oklahoma I can help you get rid of some lps ;) I am picking up my new tank tomorrow, been in a nano for a few years after I crashed my tank 7 years ago and couldnt afford to restock.
 
This is 1 years of work. We got into the hobby about 15 years ago . My uncle introduced us to it.. I ran out of room really quick. Now just trying to focus on having a high end mushroom tank
20250107_174627.jpg
 

Attachments

  • VID_20250406_170429_638.mp4
    3.7 MB
  • VID_20250406_170420_662.mp4
    8.3 MB
  • 20250409_182057.jpg
    20250409_182057.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 20250410_201521.jpg
    20250410_201521.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 20250124_163923.jpg
    20250124_163923.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 60
This is 1 years of work. We got into the hobby about 15 years ago . My uncle introduced us to it.. I ran out of room really quick. Now just trying to focus on having a high end mushroom tank
20250107_174627.jpg

Heck yea Im loving it! I lost my bounce in my crash, along with my rainbow chalices well I should say all chalices... Ill be right there with you soon, I bet that high end mushroom tank will look freaking awesome when filled in
 
Few corals prior to the crash, I cant wait to start collecting again! I will be picking up a 5ft long 90 gallon tomorrow and finally getting out of my old nano cube

455048901_2564955183700749_6125877898988336260_n.jpg 459278421_2591997960996471_2999756570084995448_n.jpg 461835206_2609523245910609_2745592369129757307_n.jpg 30265369_867012910161660_8668554427914780672_n.jpg 307203359_464406455715324_4686656727371513518_n.jpg
 
Few corals prior to the crash, I cant wait to start collecting again! I will be picking up a 5ft long 90 gallon tomorrow and finally getting out of my old nano cube

455048901_2564955183700749_6125877898988336260_n.jpg 459278421_2591997960996471_2999756570084995448_n.jpg 461835206_2609523245910609_2745592369129757307_n.jpg 30265369_867012910161660_8668554427914780672_n.jpg 307203359_464406455715324_4686656727371513518_n.jpg
Wow looks really good. What made your tank crash
 
Wow looks really good. What made your tank crash

It was my fault ultimately... I attempted to use carbon dosing with vinegar, at the same time was using an coral additive I think was using vinegar as well for some reason. It smelt like vinegar but I couldnt wrap my head around why but continued to dose it, 1 day came home from work with my tank cloudy from a bacteria bloom. Within 2 months 90% of my corals had slowly faded away. I was able to save a few which mostly were all the zoas and some lps but all acros werent having it.

I did reach out to the company that produced the product, he confirmed it shouldnt have smelt that way but I take the blame for continuing to use it not even thinking twice about it.
 
1000000804.jpg


Well my husband and I did an impulsive drive to Phoenix because we had a hankering for Waffle House. We wanted to do something while there before hitting the road back to Vegas and decided on their aquarium. He saw a display that was just clownfish and anemone and gave me the go ahead to start the reef tank journey. He wanted a clownfish pair with an anemone.

Went to Petco and they had a sale going on for an AIO 13g. Read folks reviews on it and it was overall positive.

So it's just a nano right now, but we'll upgrade them in the future to probably a 50g. The 13g will become a quarantine tank. It's been around two months now and it's been a positive experience so far.
 
I started in freshwater.
9cd6b195-4777-4539-bd7a-fdbe9025074c-1_all_5495.jpg

9cd6b195-4777-4539-bd7a-fdbe9025074c-1_all_6232.jpg

But feel in love with corals. When my daughter was born, I wanted to set up a tank in her room for something peacefull to watch. In researching which fish to use i got bored with barbs and rainbowfish, discus were too much work for a childs room. I kept pulling up marine fish on live aquaria and spent the whole of my down time at the hospital researching (while the wife was sleeping, of course). I spent my paternity time between cooking and cleaning and snuggling our newest family member setting up a saltwater tank in the nursary. She loved it and the rest is history.
1000000136.jpg

1000005989.jpg
 
Last edited:
I had been doing FW tanks most of my life. Finally one day after a trip to the LFS and a few too many minutes spent checking out all of the corals and reef fish, I decided that I really wanted to start a saltwater tank. As a (fairly) young couple with 3 kids, we lived paycheck to paycheck most of the time, so in order to fit a project like this into the budget, I would need to figure out a way to free up some funds. As a "pack a day" smoker at the time, it was a quick no-brainer solution. I made a deal with myself that if I could quit smoking, I could use the money I wasn't spending on cigarettes to start my project. I set a goal of spring 2007 but ended up quitting smoking a few months early due to a "if this happens again, you probably wont survive" incident. So, spring of 2007, with the newly freed up funds and our tax return, a new addiction was born. I bought a 55g reef ready tank, a Coralife Lunar Aqualight (the one with compact fluorescent bulbs, and a Coralife skimmer, built myself a stand, and made a sump from an old (29g i think) fish tank.
2389-1179138213-2fad92cdb2d726c02f554f9f9e0f5b4e.jpg

a few years later, I upgraded to a 70g, 40g long homemade sump, metal halide lighting, and an ASM Skimmer, built a new stand, and the old sump stand was repurposed for storage.
581.jpg

587.jpg

75reefright.jpg
75reefleft.jpg
584.jpg

Biggest Disadvantage, well that would be my ex-wife. When she decided to spray aerosol furniture polish into the sump.
wait a minute- do you mean she did it deliberately??? please tell me no!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new