Show us your (bare) bottom!

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it. I too have replaced all of the artificial with live. What kind of branch it that? The one with the macro on it? How do the nassarius do without substrate? Also, what kind of shrimp? I'm heading out today for more CUC.
For the wood, it is roots of a tree, i don t know the name of it. (it s not mangrove)
Nassarius do well without sand. At least this specie (N. vibex)
For shrimps i put many different species. Supposed to be feeders but some species will hide better, like Leander tenuicornis or Palaemonetes species, while species like Panaeus species, Hippolyte zostericola or Latreteus fucorum will be eaten pretty fast. I still need to ID many species... also have a lone Lysmata

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is sooo satisfying to look at ;Shamefullyembarrased
You couldn't see the "bare bottom" well in my old h. erectus display, but boy did I love it!

Fullold.jpg

OP
OP
I'm a natural blue

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK everyone, the more I clean my tank i.e. water changes and see all of the debris that is coming out of the sand/rock the more I am inclined to take the sand out except for maybe one corner for Jaws to burrow.

Thoughts on partial sand?
Also, how does everyone get their macro to attach to the live rock intially until it takes hold?
One last question, which I am pretty sure I know the answer to, but how long of a period of time should I take to remove the sand bed? I have the two large live rocks in the DT. The one on the right is very established and the one on the left is still establishing (about 1.5 months). I have about 25-30ish lbs of established live rock in my sump and a sand/mud free refugium. The sand is Caribsea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink and well established/transfered from the move and I added a small bag of Caribsea Arag-Alive Bimini Pink which has a lot of texture. The entire sandbad is about 1.5-2" depending on location.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK everyone, the more I clean my tank i.e. water changes and see all of the debris that is coming out of the sand/rock the more I am inclined to take the sand out except for maybe one corner for Jaws to burrow.

Thoughts on partial sand?
Also, how does everyone get their macro to attach to the live rock intially until it takes hold?
One last question, which I am pretty sure I know the answer to, but how long of a period of time should I take to remove the sand bed? I have the two large live rocks in the DT. The one on the right is very established and the one on the left is still establishing (about 1.5 months). I have about 25-30ish lbs of established live rock in my sump and a sand/mud free refugium. The sand is Caribsea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink and well established/transfered from the move and I added a small bag of Caribsea Arag-Alive Bimini Pink which has a lot of texture. The entire sandbad is about 1.5-2" depending on location.
I can't remember for sure, but do you have seahorses yet? If you do not, I think you can get away with syphoning all the sand out except the jaw fish's. You can add some seachem stability or biospira as a precaution and of course monitor ammonia for a week or 2 to see what is going on.

OP
OP
I'm a natural blue

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't remember for sure, but do you have seahorses yet? If you do not, I think you can get away with syphoning all the sand out except the jaw fish's. You can add some seachem stability or biospira as a precaution and of course monitor ammonia for a week or 2 to see what is going on.
I have one male erectus, Clyde. Mondays are maintenance day and I ended up pulling out about 10lbs of sand. To play it safe, I think I will take out a little at a time. Adding biospira is a great idea though. I used it to help cycle the tank when I moved it a couple months ago. How did you attach your macro intially to your LR?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one male erectus, Clyde. Mondays are maintenance day and I ended up pulling out about 10lbs of sand. To play it safe, I think I will take out a little at a time. Adding biospira is a great idea though. I used it to help cycle the tank when I moved it a couple months ago. How did you attach your macro intially to your LR?
Usually I just wedge it in a crevice or I rubber band it to the rock. I had the worst problem with blue scroll getting it to attach. It would attach for a bit and then break loose and float around the tank. Eventually I gave up on it. Red grape caulerpa and feather caulerpa work well with the rubber band method. The type of red titan I have and the dragon's breath both did well with the wedge in a crevice method. The halimeda can be rubber banded and then it must send out new spores because I have found it growing out of rock that was not anywhere near where I had it. Hopefully that helps. Which macro algaes do you have?

OP
OP
I'm a natural blue

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which macro algaes do you have?
Thank you. I too am tucking the caulerpa in a hole. That seems to attach easily. Currently I have two different types of caulerpa coin and prolifera and a red one that my LFS had and didn't know so, I am not sure. The red is tough. I have it glued to a frag plug but it doesn't want to attach. I honestly can't stand the plugs either. I want to add more for variety and color. What are your favorites and where do you buy yours from?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I too am tucking the caulerpa in a hole. That seems to attach easily. Currently I have two different types of caulerpa coin and prolifera and a red one that my LFS had and didn't know so, I am not sure. The red is tough. I have it glued to a frag plug but it doesn't want to attach. I honestly can't stand the plugs either. I want to add more for variety and color. What are your favorites and where do you buy yours from?
My favorites are codium (which is green and rubbery looking), dragon's breath (which is a nice red with orange tips where the light hits it), feather caulerpa because its a favorite of the seahorses, and a variety of red titan (which grows in a plating fashion and has varigated white striping through it). Nearly all the macros I have I have gotten from local lfs or local reefers. I have often wanted to order from gulf coast ecosystems but just never pulled the trigger. I hear very good things about them however.

OP
OP
I'm a natural blue

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vlangel I noticed red titan immediately! I like tha one a lot. My LFS don't carry the nicer Macros so 'm forced to buy online. I can't seen to find any local reefers either. There are two clubs in my area. One of which I've been meaning to join but haven't yet. I will check out Gulf Coast. Thank you.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
macros are so nice I have a collection in my 20L macro tank that is being replaced by the 40br SH tan.k I think you will find macros very under appreciated in the SW hobby there quite cool and fun to grow with there own set of challenges. just like anything research it before adding it to your tank. some of the greens I would say away from tho. also some require more CA to grow.
good luck there fun and I know you and your SH will love em :D

OP
OP
I'm a natural blue

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, I've slowly started to transition to BB. In the last two weekly water changes I have removed half of the sand. Taking it slow so as to not take out too much good bacteria at a time and give it time to grow. I am going to leave a small section of sand for my jawfish because I just can't give him up. He is entirely too cute and has worked so hard to build his little burrow! I plan on adding some bacteria to the tank also.

20170824_180939-2.jpg
20170824_181104_001.jpg

OP
OP
I'm a natural blue

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O my, that jawfish is adorable. I have always wanted a pair of them. Your tank looks great!
He is great! Thank you! I have some new additions from Macna today!
Cabbage leather...he is purple and green!
20170825_180829.jpg

Wish me luck with this one....Red Sea fan with white polyps....

OP
OP
I'm a natural blue

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sea fan is so perfect and symetrical that it looks like an artificial decor. Good luck, I hope it does well for you. And that purple and green leather is to die for. Good picks!
Thank you, Dawn! It still has not opened it's polyps yet. I hope that isn't a bad sign from jump. The cabbage is a bit more open today and he had his polyps out this morning!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back