OP
OP
I'm a natural blue

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice set up @I'm a natural blue! glad to see the update your tank looks great. but looks like you have room for another one there...:p

I am still thinking of a SH tank cant get it out of my mind for years now...I would have a hard time going BB sand just looks so good and soothing but I bet maintenance is alot easier.
Thank you! I need to update my build thread too. Started it and never finished.

Ha ha ha...No more tanks for me! I am actually in the process of selling out my 90g mixed reef. Only a few fish/corals left. I have less time than I used to to take care of both and my seahorse tank really is my passion.
I am still not crazy about the barebottom look. Especially since I put a liner under the glass that didn't give the effect I was going for. In hindshight, I should have just painted the exterior bottom of the tank. I do love the ease of maintenence though. I have thought about putting sand in several times. When I started removing rock from the 90g to catch fish, I remembered very quickly why I went with BB. You should have seen the detris and crap under the base rocks. OMG! I had sand sifters/cleaners galore in that tank and still funky!

Why haven't you started a Seahorse tank? What is stopping you? They are such amazing fish. So different from others.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
recently went bare bottom. The sandbed was real bad with HA. Now I 'm amazed to see all the detritus that was in it. Here's a pic of my 75. Nothing Fancy !
HPIM9168.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
I'm a natural blue

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently went BB after years of siphoning terrible Ha growing on it. Now I see all the detritus that collects. Now I know why the sb did this.
I had the same issue with GHA in my former tank that had substrate. Of course my filtration was no where near where it should have been.
It's really amazing to see how much collects when you have a BB. You never see it in a tank with substrate.
"SB"?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue with GHA in my former tank that had substrate. Of course my filtration was no where near where it should have been.
It's really amazing to see how much collects when you have a BB. You never see it in a tank with substrate.
"SB"?

SB = sand bed I believe

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ha ha ha...No more tanks for me! I am actually in the process of selling out my 90g mixed reef. Only a few fish/corals left. I have less time than I used to to take care of both and my seahorse tank really is my passion.
I am still not crazy about the barebottom look. Especially since I put a liner under the glass that didn't give the effect I was going for. In hindshight, I should have just painted the exterior bottom of the tank. I do love the ease of maintenence though. I have thought about putting sand in several times. When I started removing rock from the 90g to catch fish, I remembered very quickly why I went with BB. You should have seen the detris and crap under the base rocks. OMG! I had sand sifters/cleaners galore in that tank and still funky!

Why haven't you started a Seahorse tank? What is stopping you? They are such amazing fish. So different from others.

yeah I feel the same I am not crazy about the BB look ( unless its on my lady then um yeah I like it lol) I bet cleaning is so much easier. mt fear would be that I would let macro and coral grow over the bottom then It would be just as hard if not harder to clean than sand.

something about sand makes we happy I find it soothing...
yes paint the bottom I think would have been the way to go if I decided set up the tank and go BB that is what I will do.

ha ha well I got 90% of ll the goodies for the 40BR SH tank then I 2nd guessed myself if it was a good idea or not. in the end it turned out to be as I was traveling quite a bit and find a tank sitter to feed 2x a day well that is the only reason...but know I am thinking of it again.

this time in my 90 cube 36x24x24 and making the 40br the reef. the 90 needs some love anyway and might have to move the tank to do the floors so...once again I have SH fever.

OP
OP
I'm a natural blue

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Devaji , the 90 woukd be beautiful as a seahorse tank. So is it 36" long?

I've been in the fence about ordering a new pony but will be traveling a lot so I am holding off. Having young seahorses is a bit more time intensive with monitoring and feeding extra feedings.

Keep us posted if you do It!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So, you are thinking of adding a new pony? Very cool. I know what you mean about the young ones needing a bit more attention.
How many ponies do you have?

OP
OP
I'm a natural blue

I'm a natural blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, you are thinking of adding a new pony? Very cool. I know what you mean about the young ones needing a bit more attention.
How many ponies do you have?
Yes Dawn I am! I currently have just three. If I add one more I will consider that maxed out. I don't want to max out the bioload as per the recommendations of 2 for the first pair and 15g each additional pair. I think personally that is still to heavy to stock for me.

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lisa i think you should edit the tittle of your thread...

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4E18312C-C272-4A18-BDD4-4D22344F4226.jpeg

New setup with black 1/2” Starboard. JBJ 45 Flat Panel. Just finished the aquascape with live rock so it is a little messy on the bottom right now.

EDIT: One with the lights on
D1CF7845-FC65-4078-A02A-52AFD5514C31.jpeg

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back