Show us your unsual or rare corals!

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What unsual piece do you have. Any cool colored or hard to get corals in your tanks?
I own a eleutherobia coral or carrot coral and honestly idk much about it and its not easy to get in canada from what ive seen.
Its very weird as it triples in size at night and creates these massive tentacles.
I ended up with it one day trying to buy a red sponge from a shady pet store and turns out it was not a sponge. Lotta reserch and questions asked and i had my answer. Its a carrot coral.

Screenshot_20201230-033012_Gallery.jpg 20201230_032920.jpg 20201230_032909.jpg 20201230_032851.jpg

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a carrot coral that somehow arrived as a hitchiker. I haven't been feeding it directly but do weekly water changes with fresh local sea water. It appears to have grown so possibly getting food from micro organisms in the water? Love it when it's extending at night.

OP
OP
Born2beblack

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see there in the uk more then here
That be a cool hitchhicker. They get so wavy and big at night. I need to find a better way to feed mine.

Blue torch is a cool one. I dont have torch only a hammee and just a basic one. I want a torch but never seen a blue one thats cool

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This little fella I found washed up- it’s called a sea pansy! Unfortunately, about 2 weeks later our power went out for 72 hours in a hurricane and I lost it. They’re very interesting though! They are bioluminescent when threatened!

Attachments

• A5F9A08C-76AF-48C3-872A-2A4EB4FF75C0.png
    A5F9A08C-76AF-48C3-872A-2A4EB4FF75C0.png
    1 MB · Views: 133
OP
OP
Born2beblack

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This little fella I found washed up- it’s called a sea pansy! Unfortunately, about 2 weeks later our power went out for 72 hours in a hurricane and I lost it. They’re very interesting though! They are bioluminescent when threatened!
Wow washed up lucky i live middle of canada so no salt even close to me.
Do you find mant corals to add or can you

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow washed up lucky i live middle of canada so no salt even close to me.
Do you find mant corals to add or can you
We have some family friends on the coast, so when we visit I check the beach for any pieces! (Usually dying or dead. If it’s clearly healthy, I leave it or throw it back)

OP
OP
Born2beblack

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have some family friends on the coast, so when we visit I check the beach for any pieces! (Usually dying or dead. If it’s clearly healthy, I leave it or throw it back)
Thats cool
I wish i lived near the rhe see in any way. Even a 5 hour drive id do it, but no luck for me

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not rare, but rare in the hobby, as intentional collection is illegal. They can also be found on KP rock from time to time.

Siderastrea siderea Aka massive starlet coral.

Picked up a nice empty snail shell for one of my hermits to move into while snorkeling south east Florida a few years ago. Placed in my bucket of collected sea lettuce and graciliria and then it made the trip back to TN.

Placed shell in tank for hermit to find and a few days later noticed some polyps on the shell. Dre melted the shell to safely get polyps off and then placed on small rock to see what became of it. This is it after a few years.

2A07D0B7-E268-48AA-88BC-9C6D7C2F99DF.jpeg

OP
OP
Born2beblack

Born2beblack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not rare, but rare in the hobby, as intentional collection is illegal. They can also be found on KP rock from time to time.

Siderastrea siderea Aka massive starlet coral.

Picked up a nice empty snail shell for one of my hermits to move into while snorkeling south east Florida a few years ago. Placed in my bucket of collected sea lettuce and graciliria and then it made the trip back to TN.

Placed shell in tank for hermit to find and a few days later noticed some polyps on the shell. Dre melted the shell to safely get polyps off and then placed on small rock to see what became of it. This is it after a few years.

2A07D0B7-E268-48AA-88BC-9C6D7C2F99DF.jpeg
Didn't know that. Interesting boss
Thats cool af its like literally growimg your own almost
Neat stuff
Look forward to other neat piece we get to see :)

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 24 51.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 3 6.4%

Back