OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much water does it usually take to top off every three to four days? Big volume top offs in small tanks could cause a significant salinity swing but I don't know if that would be enough to cause this. Tough one.

Molting problems like @Lasse said are definitely possible too.

That honestly could be it. I’m not sure the actual volume to be complexity honest. I eyeball it and haven’t had an issue since. I guess i will start doing it daily..

OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i appreciate everyone’s help. I guess I’ll wait some time before i try another. Make sure i get my top off routine better and i guess let my tank mature.

OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ammonia test do you use? My experiences is that many of them will very often give false readings and 0.25 seems to be a magic reading. If you use a method that give the total NH3/NH4 measurement - and that the measurement is right - you will still not have more than around 0.01 ppm of the toxic form (NH3) with the pH you have. That will not kill any shrimps IMO. I was also thinking of a molt going wrong - but I´m not sure.

Sincerely Lasse

a0d13706e8a26b5ce6c7139d51143819.jpg

Just tested again. Results.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Although a delicate shrimp species, it could be a molt, and/or sensitivity too high/low salinity or high nitrate.
As a certainty, do a water change in case it is the water contributing to this behavior.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you spook him by any chance when you were topping off? Could he have injured himself? I lost a Firefish once that way.

He was relaxing in his little cave the whole time.. such a shame

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know the reliability and accuracy of this test - never used it. But what I understand - it is the method that I know have had issues with other brands. I think that you can forget the reading at the moment. I can´t see what you mean in the picture - but I have seen at some of my shrimps that they get some "blurr" on their shells and antennas some days before molting. However - haven´t seen this on the actual species.

However - you have use a treatment against Ich that is very difficult to get information about. They say that it is an oxidizing agent - but not which type. By the way - did it work against your ich? You can´t role out that just this individual was sensitive for the treatment.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know the reliability and accuracy of this test - never used it. But what I understand - it is the method that I know have had issues with other brands. I think that you can forget the reading at the moment. I can´t see what you mean in the picture - but I have seen at some of my shrimps that they get some "blurr" on their shells and antennas some days before molting. However - haven´t seen this on the actual species.

However - you have use a treatment against Ich that is very difficult to get information about. They say that it is an oxidizing agent - but not which type. By the way - did it work against your ich? You can´t role out that just this individual was sensitive for the treatment.

Sincerely Lasse

I bought a 6 like wrasse that had fluke. It’s been 3 weeks and my clowns show no signs of sickness.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That honestly could be it. I’m not sure the actual volume to be complexity honest. I eyeball it and haven’t had an issue since. I guess i will start doing it daily..

I have basically the same tank and before I installed an ATO I would top mine off multiple times a day, waiting 3 days I’m guessing your probably causing a substantial salinity swing and potentially a temp swing as well if your top off water isn’t matched to your tank.

OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have basically the same tank and before I installed an ATO I would top mine off multiple times a day, waiting 3 days I’m guessing your probably causing a substantial salinity swing and potentially a temp swing as well if your top off water isn’t matched to your tank.

What ATO do you use? I have bought a small fan to help cool my tank. For some reason I’ve always had cooking problems but i assume that’s from where i live. Normally my temp is between 78-80.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ATO do you use? I have bought a small fan to help cool my tank. For some reason I’ve always had cooking problems but i assume that’s from where i live. Normally my temp is between 78-80.

I use a Tunze nano ATO.. Biocubes are notorious for running hot, I keep the feeding hatch open or the lid propped up on mine most of the time on mine which helps a lot.

53CFC9F9-BB87-48FA-BD7A-51FC49178411.png

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The effects you describe could be the effects of ammonia. Not sure how well this translates to salt water. But ive seen Caridina dennerli display some of what you describe when exposed to tanks with ammonia present. They swim erratically with no apparent direction. And can often appear “stunned” after these episodes. It does not take a lot even in freshwater Caridea to illicit a response.

They are also very sensitive to heavy metals like nickel, that a contaminate from an exposed magnet or such cant be ruled out.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Update on condition of shrimp?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Shrimp didn’t make it.. hate that i couldn’t even help it. Gonna try to figure out what the issue with my tank is and give it some time to grow and try again.

Calcium is a necessity for its' shell and hardening after molt. At minimum, a calcium supplement

N00B1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the little shrimpy loss. I have a biocube 16 and use a smart ATO micro and almost keep the water in the third chamber full, almost to the bottom of the bulkhead. Remove the feeding door and place a computer fan on top blowing air in it will help with the temp in the tank.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sincerely Lasse
I was reading this thread and I saw you asked about the Polyp Lab treatment, I have not used it but I have it on my shelf. I have a friend that owns a LFS and it worked well for him

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 42.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back