Shrimp dying. Possible cause?

oceanrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read this.

I don’t honestly know about this species of shrimp.

However. My research shows that some types of shrimp can tolerate a wide range of salinity And other parameters. While other species like the obligatory pure ocean going ones may be flexible when small or larvae stage but are less tolerant when they reach adulthood
In addition there are no definitive studies on shrimp aging and what morphological changes are for each species as they age.
However most shrimp species have relatively short lifespans Many smaller shrimp species reach adulthood quickly and spawn so thst they can perpetuate the species before being consumed as part of the food chain
Larger and brighter shrimps generally last longer which may be the case for your shrimp. Though we have no way to ascertain it’s age. Since they molt it is also impossible to check it’s hard skeleton for age clues
Therefore your shrimps demise could be either salinity. Calcium. Toxic metals. Ammonia. Old age. Or a confluence of those factors

I would add some macro algae and let the tank cycle some more Do two or three 30 to 40% water changes a week apart Let the tank age a bit

One thing most aquarists forget is to wash and clean all equipment and tank items many times before usage. Since there are many manufacturing oils and debris and metals that are incidentally included stuck or on the new product. A good soak and many rinses is best.

Hope this helps

oceanrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh. And I forget to add that many parasites including trematodes, mites , worms etc. Infect a higher invertebrate as part of their lifecycle. Some are species specific. Some cercaría larvae infect shrimp or crabs or snails before they reach birds or fish and maybe even human hosts.

But normally these do NOT kill the intermediate hosts as thst would terminate the parasite lifecycle

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It
My salinity has been 1.024. I don’t top off daily. I have a 16 gallon biocube. When it gets close to the low level line i fill it back up. Normally once every three-four days.
s better to top off a little bit every day than to put a larger quantity every three days. I have 2 nanos and Salinity swings are an issue. Once I got tired of topping off I bought a Tunze Nano ATO. It’s a beautiful thing! I don’t know if this is the prob with your shrimp. I was just giving a suggestion!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 93 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back