Shrimp dying. Possible cause?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely doesnt look good. Can you post your parameters along with how old is the tank and how old is the shrimp?

OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely doesnt look good. Can you post your parameters along with how old is the tank and how old is the shrimp?

Tank is a month and a half old. I got told parameters were good two days ago by LFS. PH was 8.0-8.2. Nitrate and nitrite 0 ammonia 0-.25. Shrimp i have had for 3-4 weeks. He’s molted once about 3 weeks ago. I had a fish die of fluke about 2 week ago and i treated the tank night and Day with polyp lab medic water conditioner which is shrimp safe. The other fish are great. My corals are great. The shrimp just all of the sudden went to acting nuts. I made a post yesterday because i noticed some white specks on its shell and didn’t know if it was fluke or not but found out they can’t get fluke.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use rodi water for your water changes and top off?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that concerns me is you said above your nitrate and nitrite were 0 but you were registering ammonia. Did you cycle the tank at all?

OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that concerns me is you said above your nitrate and nitrite were 0 but you were registering ammonia. Did you cycle the tank at all?

Yes. I used turbo start and the cycle took a couple days. I was reading ammonia a tiny bit. I recently took a business trip and had to fatten my fish up a little. The extra food caused it to be there i believe. When i did the test myself it was a little color of .25 ammonia but wasn’t fully the color on the chart. So that’s why i say 0-.25.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's get the rest of the #reefsquad to take a look. I am unsure at this point.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Mordie ! This should be enough time. Please tell us what the LFS says before spending any $$ there.

OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Mordie ! This should be enough time. Please tell us what the LFS says before spending any $$ there.

I came here because they are closed until Wednesday.. i went there today and picked up some coral and everything was fine then he just all of the sudden flipped. Literally.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like it could be neurologic? What is your salinity, your tank volume and the volume you ordinarily have to use to top off each day? Do you top off once a day or use an ATO?

Shrimp are very sensitive to toxins, especially ammonia IME. They also are sensitive to changes in salinity. Sorry for your loss. I love my blood shrimp! :(

OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like it could be neurologic? What is your salinity, your tank volume and the volume you ordinarily have to use to top off each day? Do you top off once a day or use an ATO?

Shrimp are very sensitive to toxins, especially ammonia IME. They also are sensitive to changes in salinity. Sorry for your loss. I love my blood shrimp! :(

My salinity has been 1.024. I don’t top off daily. I have a 16 gallon biocube. When it gets close to the low level line i fill it back up. Normally once every three-four days.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I used turbo start and the cycle took a couple days. I was reading ammonia a tiny bit. I recently took a business trip and had to fatten my fish up a little. The extra food caused it to be there i believe. When i did the test myself it was a little color of .25 ammonia but wasn’t fully the color on the chart. So that’s why i say 0-.25.

What ammonia test do you use? My experiences is that many of them will very often give false readings and 0.25 seems to be a magic reading. If you use a method that give the total NH3/NH4 measurement - and that the measurement is right - you will still not have more than around 0.01 ppm of the toxic form (NH3) with the pH you have. That will not kill any shrimps IMO. I was also thinking of a molt going wrong - but I´m not sure.

Sincerely Lasse

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My salinity has been 1.024. I don’t top off daily. I have a 16 gallon biocube. When it gets close to the low level line i fill it back up. Normally once every three-four days.

How much water does it usually take to top off every three to four days? Big volume top offs in small tanks could cause a significant salinity swing but I don't know if that would be enough to cause this. Tough one.

Molting problems like @Lasse said are definitely possible too.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Shrimp expect a much more mature tank because as mentioned they’re intolerant of fluctuations in many parameters —- a more established tank is more stable. A bad molt could possibly be caused by the presence of the ammonia or the shrimp was just too weak to complete the molt.

OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ammonia test do you use? My experiences is that many of them will very often give false readings and 0.25 seems to be a magic reading. If you use a method that give the total NH3/NH4 measurement - and that the measurement is right - you will still not have more than around 0.01 ppm of the toxic form (NH3) with the pH you have. That will not kill any shrimps IMO. I was also thinking of a molt going wrong - but I´m not sure.

Sincerely Lasse

I use the master salt water test kit. He molted about three weeks ago. Could’ve been fine again. I noticed this on its shell about three days ago. If that leads to anything I’m not sure what that even is.
IMG_6136.JPG

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back