Shrimp molt

  • Thread starter Thread starter Empress
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 16, 2016
Messages
1,031
Reaction score
801
Location
Central Florida, USA
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 large cleaner shrimp and 2 of them just molted. I have a feeling that the 3rd one is going to molt any day now. My question is: what does everybody do with the molt? Leave it in the tank for snails/crabs to munch on? Or remove them? A piece of one is sticking out of a coral right now. Is that safe for the coral?
 
I just leave them there.
 
I would be cool if they would just clean up after themselves by eating their own molt. LOL
 
If it 's right there and easy to get to, I take it out. If it gets blown around under a rock or in a hard to reach place I leave it.
 
They don't rot the water. There is no flesh to it. If there are deficiencies they will eat it to get some vitamins and elements back.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new