Shrimp reproduction questions

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) My lone peppermint shrimp (from Florida so it should be Lysmata wurdemanni) looks to be holding eggs. She's never done this before. So I used my Google-fu and found that they are proandrous hermaphrodites. They all start out as male and them become hermaphrodites (and maybe then become females???). My question - is this species self fertile? I have no plans to try to raise the fry, I'm just curious.

2019 Jan 28 peppermint shrimp with eggs.jpg

2) I was watching my nano tank yesterday and counted my sexy shrimp - 1, 2, 3 females and 1, 2 males. Wait, what? I originally bought five but one disappeared shortly after arrival. This was in late summer or fall of 2017. Between then and now it's been 3 female and 1 male. Could that other male really have been hiding that long (or, more accurately, could I have missed one male consistently for over a year)? Or could an egg hatch and the fry manage to survive long enough to become an adult in a display tank? It's a mystery.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a shrimp that has had some success in captive breeding. But given their larval size and how often they molt during that stage and the fine foods they eat are not like breeding neocarolinas. But not quite as complicated as amano shrimp.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back