Shrimp reproduction questions

ThunderGoose

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 25, 2016
Messages
938
Reaction score
1,176
Location
Beverly, Mass
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) My lone peppermint shrimp (from Florida so it should be Lysmata wurdemanni) looks to be holding eggs. She's never done this before. So I used my Google-fu and found that they are proandrous hermaphrodites. They all start out as male and them become hermaphrodites (and maybe then become females???). My question - is this species self fertile? I have no plans to try to raise the fry, I'm just curious.

2019 Jan 28 peppermint shrimp with eggs.jpg


2) I was watching my nano tank yesterday and counted my sexy shrimp - 1, 2, 3 females and 1, 2 males. Wait, what? I originally bought five but one disappeared shortly after arrival. This was in late summer or fall of 2017. Between then and now it's been 3 female and 1 male. Could that other male really have been hiding that long (or, more accurately, could I have missed one male consistently for over a year)? Or could an egg hatch and the fry manage to survive long enough to become an adult in a display tank? It's a mystery.
 
Its a shrimp that has had some success in captive breeding. But given their larval size and how often they molt during that stage and the fine foods they eat are not like breeding neocarolinas. But not quite as complicated as amano shrimp.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 51 34.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 22 14.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new