Sicce Return Pump Dropping in Watts Used

jbilliel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We lost power and internet for the last week due to the Tropical Storm and I have been running my tank off my generator. I just got power and internet back and my Apex is warning me that my Sicce return pump is drawing fewer watts (33) vs the normal 40ish watts. I pulled the pump out, cleaned it thoroughly and it only came back up to 34 watts. Is this a concern? Should I be buying a new pump right now to protect against this possibly failing? The pump is only 8 months old so that feels a bit premature, but curious what everything thinks. I would have thought that a dying pump would draw more watts and not less.

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have thought that a dying pump would draw more watts and not less.
I always thought the same thing but according to BRStv as the impeller slows (even due to blockage) it draws less juice. Is it possible there is some blockage in the return line?

OP
OP
J

jbilliel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought the same thing but according to BRStv as the impeller slows (even due to blockage) it draws less juice. Is it possible there is some blockage in the return line?

I will check it out, but I don’t think there are any blockages

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a DC or AC pump. If DC, it is likely operating at a lower speed than before.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would most likely be due to some restriction in the discharge (or maybe the suction) causing a lower flow rate. Does the flow seem to be less than before the outage? I guess it could also be due to some slippage of the impeller not turning at the same speed as the motor, but this would typically make some noise and the flow would also be less. I don't think it means the pump is in immediate danger of failing.

OP
OP
J

jbilliel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just completely took the return line apart and didn't find any restrictions. <shrug> Let me keep an eye on it and see what happens

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back