sicce syncra 1.0 - need return line plumbing help

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to plumb a sicce syncra 1.0 return line. I want 1/2" throughout.

Sicce says it offers 1/2" on this pump, but there's a problem. Solution: I will cut the included sicce two size adapter nipply thingy so only the 1/2" exists (there is a smaller-than-1/2" barb section on the end- a needless restriction). I've seen on here that people do that. My thinking seems on track. So, cut, and screw that nipply thing into the pump and then only a 1/2" barb fitting is exposed with no further inner diameter (ID) restrictions. Check.

I will insert the 1 foot length of 1/2" silicone tubing I bought onto the barb. Check.

Now what!?

I want the other end of the 1/2" silicone tubing to go into 1/2" PVC to complete my return line in 1/2" PVC, which I have. (Check!) Trouble is, @Bulk Reef Supply seems to have done me wrong, since this ain't 1/2" (SKU 207925). The barb side ID is not 1/2", though the PVC side is. The barb side ID is (drum roll please) the same as the smaller size of the sicce nipple.

I'm calling this "the nipple conspiracy". And I'm all for nipples but how can a fella get what he wants here....

Any advice appreciated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't find anything at our Big Box store.

This isn't so much the different between ID's for sched 80 vs. sched 40. The diameter different is about /14", which when it's this small already seem significant to me.

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I look down into the pump, the water initially comes out of a narrower hole, which looks to be around 3/8". So perhaps my concerns are much ado about nothing because the most narrow point is already set in the hard plastic casing of the pump itself, a casing that can not be changed by any connection modifications.

It seems no matter what we do externally, the water is constricted to a 3/8" hole. I can't have 1/2" plumbing throughout, even though that is the largest size sicce says this pump supports. In reality, 3/8" seems to be the casing's limit, the size of the smallest nipple on the included barb fitting, and the size of BRS's barb (ID).

In a sense, "false" advertising from Sicce about the 1/2" outlet because it isn't really? Presumably the pumps specs aren't effected though, so doesn't really matter that they offer "oversized" connection options.

Not sure if all this is correct though.

If this is correct, I should not bother to modify the sicce barb, and can just use the @Bulk Reef Supply fitting as intended when I bought it, and all my 1/2" plumbing will be just fine but rather unnecessary, could use 3/8", though not sure there's any hard plumbing options for that.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back