Sicce Syncra ADV 9.0 Pump or Vectra M2

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running a Vectra M1 for 8 years with no issues but my controller may be giving up the ghost. Some are recommending the Sicce Syncra ADV 9.0 instead of the M2. I get that the Sicce has a 5 year warranty and is less expensive but I am seeking some user opinions, as the reviews are all over the place.
Based upon my experience, I would go with an M2 but I am surprised to hear of so many Vectra's crapping out after 2 years or so.
Any opinions are appreciated.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as I like DC pumps over AC for many reasons, if you want that peace of mind AC has no parallel since it has no controller or power supply as an additional failure point.

You could try asking ecotech to see if you could replace the failing m1 controller with a new m2 contoller if thats the sole issue with your old m1. Will be a lot cheaper to get back up and running if the other components are fine.

Finally to answer the main part of the question, I use both multiple M2 and L2 pumps and overall enjoyed my experiences with them. The only component I have had fail were the power supplies which is less of an issue on the L2 since it (at least since ive last bought one) uses a meanwell power supply vs some other brand on the m2

willy69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been running a Vectra M1 for 8 years with no issues but my controller may be giving up the ghost. Some are recommending the Sicce Syncra ADV 9.0 instead of the M2. I get that the Sicce has a 5 year warranty and is less expensive but I am seeking some user opinions, as the reviews are all over the place.
Based upon my experience, I would go with an M2 but I am surprised to hear of so many Vectra's crapping out after 2 years or so.
Vectors
vectra for sure. I bought a sicce and when I was cleaning it the impeller broke. I replaced the impeller but now it randomly stops working because “the impeller is clogged” also mobius app is wayy better. Finally sicce pumps look like every other Chinese Amazon return pump so they probably all come from the same manufacturer. Vectras are unique and I will be purchasing one soon.

OP
OP
S

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as I like DC pumps over AC for many reasons, if you want that peace of mind AC has no parallel since it has no controller or power supply as an additional failure point.

You could try asking ecotech to see if you could replace the failing m1 controller with a new m2 contoller if thats the sole issue with your old m1. Will be a lot cheaper to get back up and running if the other components are fine.

Finally to answer the main part of the question, I use both multiple M2 and L2 pumps and overall enjoyed my experiences with them. The only component I have had fail were the power supplies which is less of an issue on the L2 since it (at least since ive last bought one) uses a meanwell power supply vs some other brand on the m2
Thank you for your reply. A question: If the pump itself is dirty, might that make my controller act wonky? When I turn it right down-on the odd occasion-the lights flash a bit and I get gurgling sounds. It's been fine since Sunday.
I hung up on Ecotech after being on hold for 45 minutes. They don't have M1 controllers on their website and I am hoping the M2 works. I'll call again today. Looking into Sicce DC pumps as well, as they have been recommended and carry a 5 year warranty.
I miss the simple days of a Danner pump, drip filter, skimmer and lots of rock.

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two Sicce SDC 9.0 pumps. I really like them. They can give more flow at higher head pressures than the vectras. The app is not great, but I don't want a pump for the app.

For the record, I ran (a long time ago) a vectra M1 on a Lifereef skimmer. Lasted less than 8 months. I also was really surprised how quickly the flow dropped off with some head pressure applied.

Others will have different opinions/experience than I do, but just sharing mine. FWIW, Sicce has been making pumps forever and they are an Italian company. They definitely stand behind their products. Had one issue in 4+ years with my SDC pump and it was handled professionally and fairly quickly. Did take a couple interactions with the company, but I was not given the run around.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply. A question: If the pump itself is dirty, might that make my controller act wonky? When I turn it right down-on the odd occasion-the lights flash a bit and I get gurgling sounds. It's been fine since Sunday.
I hung up on Ecotech after being on hold for 45 minutes. They don't have M1 controllers on their website and I am hoping the M2 works. I'll call again today. Looking into Sicce DC pumps as well, as they have been recommended and carry a 5 year warranty.
I miss the simple days of a Danner pump, drip filter, skimmer and lots of rock.
If the controller flashes red for a bit then I assume its the start of a thermal issue instead. Granted it wasnt as far out of warranty as yours might be now, ecotech has handled one of my old L1's that was ~3 years old at the cost of shipping. Just send them an email since I assume the holidays has them swamped like a lot of other service places are if being on hold for a while is not an option.

I may or may not get frowned at for saying this but if you're on a budget, consider buying 2 jebao dcp (or newer) instead over a sicce (sicce sdc is overall better if not on a budget besides noise ime). You'll likely have >5 years of use out of 2 and can immediately swap downed parts (likely just a powersupply tbh) and be up and running in no time vs waiting on an rma which takes ~1-2 weeks of waiting

OP
OP
S

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the controller flashes red for a bit then I assume its the start of a thermal issue instead. Granted it wasnt as far out of warranty as yours might be now, ecotech has handled one of my old L1's that was ~3 years old at the cost of shipping. Just send them an email since I assume the holidays has them swamped like a lot of other service places are if being on hold for a while is not an option.

I may or may not get frowned at for saying this but if you're on a budget, consider buying 2 jebao dcp (or newer) instead over a sicce (sicce sdc is overall better if not on a budget besides noise ime). You'll likely have >5 years of use out of 2 and can immediately swap downed parts (likely just a powersupply tbh) and be up and running in no time vs waiting on an rma which takes ~1-2 weeks of waiting
Thanks for the reply. Ecotech got back to me and the M2 and M1 are compatible.

DarkZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently running a 9.0 since it is the biggest pump I can find in my city while my Abyzz A400 died right before Christmas, I'm surprised it can push the water from my basement to the mainfloor with a reasonable pressure. they are very reliable brand from Italy, although it is a emergency purchase, I would choose Sicce over Ecotech any day.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back