sicce syncra silent 1.0 noisey

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first plumbed it up and tested it a few weeks back, it was relatively silent (or at least a lot quieter).

I took apart the front and I suspect it has something to do with that. I believe it is put back together again correctly, all snapped firm and such. Have futzed with it several times now to check again.

I remember seeing a BRS video about how you can turn the front to restrict flow, but they said that if you attempt to reduce the speed that way, it gets noisey. I suspect that's what is going on here but despite turning it all the way open it's making noise. I just want it wide open. But the intake of this thing is confusing, I see the little arrows and yet if you turn that piece, it would not seem to make any difference for flow restriction. what the heck?

Don't see this talked about in any product support/troubleshooting.

The whine/hum is actually maddening.

My other pump is a varios 2 hard plumbed (PVC) all the way. It makes a hum but just barely audible.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not touching anything, it is on the included feet now, that's the only thing touching.

I spoke to my LFS. They suspect I have a unit with slightly off kilter magnets because it shouldn't be doing this. We talked through all the things.

Can fish in the water hear what I hear? Thank is too small to stick my head in... I'm about to purchase and add 2 fish.

Will probably buy another one from the LFS and then deal with support/replacement next week either through BRS or Sicce.

Axem_Black

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually had the same problem with the 1.0 being really noisy and producing an annoying humming sound. Upgrading from the 0.5 which was completely silent out of the box to the 1.0 I assumed it was because it was pushing more water through it. I ended up buying two more pumps thinking I bought a defect the first time (don't judge me :)), but the new 1.0s were equally as noisy out of the box. As stupid as it sounds I kept the first sicce 1.0 in my tank out of spite). After a few weeks, it actually quieted down to silence...My guess is a "break-in period" to allow a nice biofilm to coat the pump and let the shaft/rotor align itself.

I will also say, when I was testing out the two new 1.0's a bought to replace the original, I let the original pump rattle around in my salt mixing bin for a week.

I don't really have any solutions for you, but I hope my experience gives you a better idea of the nature of these pumps,

OP
OP
Trever

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Axem_Black thanks. My varios 2 did get even quieter after about 2 weeks.

Perhaps I should start another thread but a separate topic is how to thread piping into these. The threads that the included nipples have aren't standard NTP PVC type threads.

A clever guy at a local hardware store suggested they might be some sort of hose threads (eg. garden hose). We went to that section of the store and sure enough, we came awfully close.

But close doesn't count.

Has anyone figured out how to thread directly into these without using the included nipples? It would make a decent utility pump especially if could attach a hose, as well as additional options for plumbing to the tank return line.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back