Sicce XStream SDC battery backup

willembad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any information regarding this by any chance? It is advertised and mentioned in the instruction manual, but I cannot find anything online regarding where to purchase the actual backup part. Sent an email to Sicce with no response. I do like their pumps, but I'm a little disappointed since I bought these partly based on being able to back them up.

GrandmaRaff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any information regarding this by any chance? It is advertised and mentioned in the instruction manual, but I cannot find anything online regarding where to purchase the actual backup part. Sent an email to Sicce with no response. I do like their pumps, but I'm a little disappointed since I bought these partly based on being able to back them up.
On page 15 (go to #8) it says you can purchase the batteries from your dealer. It says the batteries are #18650 which is the individual number for that battery and not the number of the pack. If you buy a three slot AA battery case and solder the proper connector onto it, purchase three 18650 3.7v batteries you can build the pack yourself for probably around $10. Amazon has all the parts you need but you may need to solder the connector if you can't find one that is solderless. I hope that helps.

GrandmaRaff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On page 15 (go to #8) it says you can purchase the batteries from your dealer. It says the batteries are #18650 which is the individual number for that battery and not the number of the pack. If you buy a three slot AA battery case and solder the proper connector onto it, purchase three 18650 3.7v batteries you can build the pack yourself for probably around $10. Amazon has all the parts you need but you may need to solder the connector if you can't find one that is solderless. I hope that helps.
Scratch what I said earlier because I found the battery case with the proper connector for a whopping $5.99 w/free shipping on Ebay. They come as a three pack so you can probably sell the other two on this site. Just add three 18650 batteries and you're set.

GrandmaRaff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scratch what I said earlier because I found the battery case with the proper connector for a whopping $5.99 w/free shipping on Ebay. They come as a three pack so you can probably sell the other two on this site. Just add three 18650 batteries and you're set.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@GrandmaRaff You are brilliant! Thank you. 4 PCS 3.7V 18650 Battery Holder Storage 3 Slots Box Spring Clip With DC Plug&Wires Black I just ordered these on Amazon. I will need to reach out ot Sicce to see what aperture of 18650 3.7 V batteries they require before I guess and void my warranty. Amazing that a year after this post, Sicce still does not offer that accessory. SMH
Thanks for the legwork!!

FlyingShawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@GrandmaRaff You are brilliant! Thank you. 4 PCS 3.7V 18650 Battery Holder Storage 3 Slots Box Spring Clip With DC Plug&Wires Black I just ordered these on Amazon. I will need to reach out ot Sicce to see what aperture of 18650 3.7 V batteries they require before I guess and void my warranty. Amazing that a year after this post, Sicce still does not offer that accessory. SMH
Thanks for the legwork!!

Any word back from Sicce on which batteries to use?

Also, that Amazon listing is for a four-pack of the battery holders: has anyone tried wiring multiple battery holders in parallel for even longer run-times?

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any word back from Sicce on which batteries to use?

Also, that Amazon listing is for a four-pack of the battery holders: has anyone tried wiring multiple battery holders in parallel for even longer run-times?
The batteries are 18650 3.7 V They really don't care beyond that. I went to Batteries Plus Lamps and they hooked me up. It cost about $35 for the 3 batteries. Make sure that you get the ones with buttons. They are also available in flat top.
I have not attempted to link them together. Honestly, I am not an electronic person, so I would not have confidence in trying. If you do, please let me know.
I can say that they battery backup does work... I have not had a power outage but I have shut the breaker and it kicked in.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info here. Has anyone tested run time?
This is just speculation.

According to Parkers Reef (YouTube channel), Sicce's battery pack was supposed to last 5 hours with a pump at 100%, and the controller plug-in port also serves as a charging port for the batteries themselves, so no need to charge them. IF Sicce's solution is 3x 18650 3.7v then I'd expect similar runtime, but it will also depend on the mAh of the batteries themselves (18650's come in many different mAh ratings).

If you wire 5 sets of 3 in parallel, that should mean over 24 hours at 100%.

Fish D-Roo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the positive on the inside or outside of the connector? I have all the parts just dont want to solder the wires in the wrong spots.

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this old thread to:

1. Complain that Sicce still hasn't released this battery backup, and
2. To see if anyone has used the battery packs listed above with any success, and
3. Has anyone wired multiple packs together for a longer run time?

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what size plug do you need? I bought a battery holder with a 2.1 DC connector but its too large to fit in the controller.

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad I found this thread as I was about to diy a battery backup, I say glad as I would of just plugged the battery whilst being permanently float charged into the battery backup port on the sdc controller, I’d expect the battery to not being happy about getting 12v from two charging systems.

getting 12.3v out of the sdc controller I’d assume (maybe incorrectly) you could connect a bigger lithium battery to this for longer power outage runtime

David_CO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad I found this thread as I was about to diy a battery backup, I say glad as I would of just plugged the battery whilst being permanently float charged into the battery backup port on the sdc controller, I’d expect the battery to not being happy about getting 12v from two charging systems.

getting 12.3v out of the sdc controller I’d assume (maybe incorrectly) you could connect a bigger lithium battery to this for longer power outage runtime
If you wired the batteries in parallel no reason not. did you figure out what the plug size for the back up input is? I've been struggling with it.

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wired the batteries in parallel no reason not. did you figure out what the plug size for the back up input is? I've been struggling with it.
The mains powered plug is 5.5mm /2.1mm and the battery backup has a larger central positive pin which I assume is to stop you plugging the mains adapter into the wrong port so I’m going to assume it’s a 5.5mm/2.5mm and that’s what I’ve just ordered to test, will be a week or so until it arrives though

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back