Silicone Tubing for Return?

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be doing some cleaning on my Sump this weekend and wanted to replace the vinyl hose on my return pump to something less rigid. I am looking at this Silicone hose.

Will this work? Wanted to make sure Silicone wont cause any problems.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be worried about kinking slowing your flow with something that flimsy

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think flow would be fine but that stuff would fall off fittings unless it were clamped very securely. You need rigidity in plumbing, that tubing once filled with water gets very heavy putting all the strain on your bulkheads. It would however be a piece of cake to crack coralline out of it.
let us know how it works.

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get mine from BRS...

emilio365

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much are you planning on using? I been using a 4 inch piece of silicone tubbing connecting my return pump to the Pvc pipe for about 3 years now. Got mine from BRS as well.

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much are you planning on using? I been using a 4 inch piece of silicone tubbing connecting my return pump to the Pvc pipe for about 3 years now. Got mine from BRS as well.

Only a foot to a foot and a half or so. Just from the PVC barb fitting to the pump barb fitting.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the return bulkhead is vertical -- e.g. in the bottom of your tank -- then you should be fine regardless of whether or not the PVC you're attaching the silicone tubing to is supported by something other than the bulkhead or not.
(Although it is always best not to have a bulkhead support any weight, any downward weight/force will act in the same direction as the bulkhead seat.)

If your return bulkhead is horizontal -- e.g. in the back of your tank, and the PVC barb fitting is on the end of a piece of PVC pipe that is supported by clamp or some other means, then you should be fine. (As long as the silcone tubing is well clamped onto the barbs and there are no kinks).

On the other hand, if your return bulkhead is horizontal and there is nothing else supporting the PVC pipe you're attaching the silicone tubing to, all the weight of pipe, tubing and water will put torque on the bulkhead and could cause it to leak ... so you may want to find a way to add some support to the PVC portion so that the bulkhead isn't taking all the weight.

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the return bulkhead is vertical -- e.g. in the bottom of your tank -- then you should be fine regardless of whether or not the PVC you're attaching the silicone tubing to is supported by something other than the bulkhead or not.
(Although it is always best not to have a bulkhead support any weight, any downward weight/force will act in the same direction as the bulkhead seat.)

If your return bulkhead is horizontal -- e.g. in the back of your tank, and the PVC barb fitting is on the end of a piece of PVC pipe that is supported by clamp or some other means, then you should be fine. (As long as the silcone tubing is well clamped onto the barbs and there are no kinks).

On the other hand, if your return bulkhead is horizontal and there is nothing else supporting the PVC pipe you're attaching the silicone tubing to, all the weight of pipe, tubing and water will put torque on the bulkhead and could cause it to leak ... so you may want to find a way to add some support to the PVC portion so that the bulkhead isn't taking all the weight.

It's just a normal Red Sea Setup. So it's straight up into the PVC.

I do have some of the snap fit hose clamps I was going to use.

These ones.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I'm not very familiar with the plumbing on Red Sea tanks. But, looking at pics, it appears as though the PVC pipe comes out of ... or should I say goes into ... the bottom of the tank. If so, and the PVC tubing doesn't create any kind of weight or force that pushes or pulls sideways on the PVC pipe, you should be just fine.

So long as you give them a decent squeeze (finger tight, then one more click/tooth with a pair pliers), those clamps should be fine for holding the silicone on the PVC barbs.

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I'm not very familiar with the plumbing on Red Sea tanks. But, looking at pics, it appears as though the PVC pipe comes out of ... or should I say goes into ... the bottom of the tank. If so, and the PVC tubing doesn't create any kind of weight or force that pushes or pulls sideways on the PVC pipe, you should be just fine.

So long as you give them a decent squeeze (finger tight, then one more click/tooth with a pair pliers), those clamps should be fine for holding the silicone on the PVC barbs.

Ok, cool. I personally hate how rigid that the vinyl tubing is and figured this would be a better option.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back