Simon's 450

U

User1

View Badges
Lol - he sure is. That is pretty funny.

Side note - those pyramids look pretty cool in that photo. I understand they are good in mixed reefs but I am not a huge fan of the color pattern. This photo I actually like them. I was thinking of picking up a trio of Milletsteed/Lemon Butterflyfish but having trouble locating any or when I do the right size. I always see the pyramids though. Yours look good and now making me reconsider.

I like the Milletsteeds because I've been around them while scuba diving. I've also seen the pyramids so I guess either would work.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally got them to help with a Xenia infestation, and they rather grew on me. Not the best looking butterfly, I agree, but a very good mixed reef fish. My only advice is to get them mid-sized. I originally got them large and they all refused to eat and subsequently died. 3" is about perfect.

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update .....

IMG_1281.jpg

IMG_1285.jpg

IMG_1286.jpg

Tank will be 9 months in a couple of weeks .... and I'm already having to frag some of the colonies that are either shading others or have reached to surface of the water. Have bought a few of those maricultured colonies over the last few months; so far they have all survived. One strawberry shortcake is looking a little poorly, so we shall see. My regal showed up with a wound on it's tail, so hopefully that will heal. Flame had the worst case of popeye I have ever seen; thought for sure he'd lose the eye ..... but not! Going to cross my fingers and add in the Gem this weekend.
HOLY GREEN SLIMMER

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gem released into the display last night. A little bumped around, but holding it's own so far. Mirror distraction trick once again proving essential with most of the other tangs showing aggression to their reflections.

U

User1

View Badges
Great to hear. Pretty tang. My LFS had one a couple months back and asked 4k for it :) That is the last LFS I would ever purchase from let alone the price.

I bet it will really stand out in your tank.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have made/am making a few equipment changes. The PW200 is proving a tad underpowered for this tank - well mainly for the chiller. I'm swapping it out this weekend for a PW250. Not sure how much additional flow I will get for the extra 100 watts. Hopefully it'll get me to 1,500 GPH. Larger magenetically-driven pumps don't seem to exist. I'm not going back to direct drives like Reeflo - had too many issues with them in the past (plus I'm limited to 1" on the suction side). I have to take my skimmer off line for its annual 'deep' cleaning. Going to use that as an opportunity to try a larger pump and bigger venturis.

Gem has mostly settled in. Still mixing it up with the purple, but giving as good as it gets. Will keep the mirror on though the weekend.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gem has mostly settled in. Still mixing it up with the purple, but giving as good as it gets. Will keep the mirror on though the weekend.

Very cool. Even new he is holding his own.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, turns out I was premature in saying that the Gem introduction had gone well. Mixing it up has become murderous intent on the part of the purple. Looks like intervention is going to be necessary. For now I am going to bisect the tank with a piece of egg-crate (I always setup my aquascape to make that possible).

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you can broker a truce...

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes indeed. I put a rubber 'bumper' on the edge that presses against the front panel. Back no biggie. Doesn't appear that this is going to work - I think one of them will have to be removed. Which one .......

IMG_1300.jpg

Viner87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes indeed. I put a rubber 'bumper' on the edge that presses against the front panel. Back no biggie. Doesn't appear that this is going to work - I think one of them will have to be removed. Which one .......

IMG_1300.jpg

I did this also and my purple and gem now get along - just takes time and repeat separation when things get heated.

I used a mirror towards the end too, which helped [emoji1303]

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ended up pulling the purple. Once again the aqua medic fish trap came through for me. Hoping a few weeks in the frag tank will leave the purple adequate cowed and it can be reintroduced.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ended up pulling the purple. Once again the aqua medic fish trap came through for me. Hoping a few weeks in the frag tank will leave the purple adequate cowed and it can be reintroduced.
cool. how many fish did you catch before you got the purple?

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally let the fish get used to the trap fora day or two, including filling the feed tube. There were lots of visitors. When the time came to get down to business, I got him on the first try. Some 'by-catch' in the form of a couple of damsels. It's easier than folks think to trap a really aggressive fish ..... It thinks all the food is his/hers. I caught a large 3-stripe damsel (the devil spawn) years ago with a tiny barbless fishhook. Took literally 2 seconds.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally let the fish get used to the trap fora day or two, including filling the feed tube. There were lots of visitors. When the time came to get down to business, I got him on the first try. Some 'by-catch' in the form of a couple of damsels. It's easier than folks think to trap a really aggressive fish ..... It thinks all the food is his/hers. I caught a large 3-stripe damsel (the devil spawn) years ago with a tiny barbless fishhook. Took literally 2 seconds.
yeah, that is true, aggressive fish are easier to catch. I have had to use the hook method too.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 122 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back