Simon's 450

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just take a 8x8 sheet and fold it down into the size you see in the video. If you press the clip so the jaws dig into the nori, it helps to keep it there. I have to use a stronger outside magnet otherwise it gets pulled off.

Ok. Perfect. I'll give it a try next time.

Also I have another question about how often I should be feeding seaweed to my fish. I have a small 45 gallon JBJ nano with 4 fish in it which include a emperor angel, clown, leopard Wrasse, and diamond goby. They all eat the seaweed. Currently I am feeding them seaweed every other day. I am also feeding them PE pellets, a frozen food made by WWC, and I just bought some ROE. I try to mix it up and give them 2 different foods one day and another 2 foods the next day. Do the fish need seaweed everyday or is that over kill?

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed nori daily because I have so many herbivores in my tank. Every other day is fine for a lower load.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unintended purchase .....

2E2021F6-FABE-4556-8336-A321633C38E4.jpeg

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unintended lol. Just had to get the zosters huh?

Nice addition to you yellows. Youre making me jealous....again!

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They ended up a bit bigger than I had expected, but trios of them don’t appear very often ...... so HAD to buy them.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've rather gone on a damsel bender ..... Noted earlier that I had put in a whole bunch of yellow tails .... somewhere around 36. I counted 32 the other day, so I think they are mostly still there. I consider the 'experiment' an unqualified success. I also got 10 azures. Had some issue with them in QT, and lost four. The remaining six went into the big tank. I've seen four emerge so far. Also have picked up a few other misc. ones - a couple of talbots, and trios of Rolland's and tuxedo. I think that'll be about it.

I mostly avoid buying fish online in the Summer - just too hard to get them here uncooked (plus storms often means overnight is an extra day). Will give all my recent purchases time to settle in.

Last edited:
U

User1

View Badges
Honestly after a little over a month of owning four lyretail anthias I would say damsel benders are likely more successful. That or I needed a larger group of them and at least one male. Ended up losing one, not sure why, but if I had to guess it was lack of food. While they don't fight they do squabble a bit. More so when food is in the water. The smaller of them all went missing earlier in the week and that is all I can think of. I see the largest one really keeping them in check outside the open water column when food is in the water. I'm thinking likely lack of food was the cause since everything else is pretty good in the tank fish wise.

Once some of my corals grow out which I'm thinking is going to be about a year if not more then I'll readdress if I go with 8 or more of those or on a bender with damsels like you. Just not 30+ because I only have 210 gallons to work with :D Also agree with the summer transport.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias issues is exactly why I decided to try damsels. Just wasn't having a lot of success with a larger group ..... and they're $30 a pop (not personally a big fan of Lyretails). Damsels at $4 are easier to do :D

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should have been more precise. Yellow tail damsels for $4 pickup from NYAquatic. Others are more $$.

U

User1

View Badges
Great price either way. If I didn't go with a Coral Beauty I was going to try a trio of Starck's Damsels. I think they are a bit larger and a lot more expensive, when you can even find them, than $4. I think they are normally 35+.... In any case it is nice to have a large number, active, and color mixed in with one or two of the darker damsels mixed in.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, so much for the tuxedo damsels. Spent an extra night in Lousiville, arrived to me with the water at about 92 degrees and they appear to have either uronema or marine tuberculosis. RiP.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a shame, sorry for the loss.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, so much for the tuxedo damsels. Spent an extra night in Lousiville, arrived to me with the water at about 92 degrees and they appear to have either uronema or marine tuberculosis. RiP.

Sorry to hear that, Simon ... this obssession - erm - hobby - inspires us to take so many risks . . .

~Bruce

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed! Validates, for me at least, the importance of quarantine for fish. With the possible exception of a fish from a local refers tank that I know, no fish goes into my system without at least a month on its own.

U

User1

View Badges
Love the tank - hope to achieve similar results with my 210. Keep up the great work. To put into perspective 8 months of? I don't remember what you started with - my apologies.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is absolutely stunning!

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the tank - hope to achieve similar results with my 210. Keep up the great work. To put into perspective 8 months of? I don't remember what you started with - my apologies.

8 months since moving from 265 to current 450 ..... didn't start with frags certainly .... that would be impressive growth :D

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back