OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to be so simple to post a video …. now they've added 2,000 extra steps. Most annoying.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny how fish behavior changes. I buy a new fish and it's scared of its own shadow for a few weeks, then gradually gets used to me and the tank. Mostly understandable! Established fish crowd around the feeding hole and occasionally one of them even jumps into the cup I use to pour in the frozen.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old $&*% ... and no, I don’t mean me ......

I’ve owned four commercially-bought skimmers on my main systems. Those who know me will be wholly unsurprised that they are/were all MTC models. The first, bought around 1995, was a first generation HSA-1000 that may have been the first skimmer they ever sold. I sold that one quite quickly in favor of a second generation HSA-1000. Ran that for many years until replacing it with a stretch version of the MTC PowerPro. Ran that for a few years before moving to my current, modded HSA-3000. The point of all this you might rightly ask ......

A spring cleaning effort to purge/organize the attic in my house revealed this (though sadly no sign of Jimmy Hoffa). Thought I had binned it years ago, but apparently not. Rather surprised the heat up there hadn’t done it in. Dried out gaskets and a few little fixes here and there and it works fine. Archaeology at its finest ....

B3543E17-2A9A-488A-88A2-F3F66E403EF9.jpeg

Last edited:

NautiTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like it's been a while since an update but it really hasnt. Whats the new fish you hinted at in the last post?
Nice find btw.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fowler’s tang bought from a local reefer. Getting the business from the gang, but hopefully it’ll make it through.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a few new fish 'percolating' in various places in the system …..

1. Bought a couple of tangs off a local reefer ..... fowlers is in the main display and a small achilles in the frag tank (needs to gain some size)
2. Bought an asfur angel off a different local reefer .... in the main display.
3. I've had a baby unicornis, baby vlamingi and female bipartitus wrasse in my grow out tank for a while now ..... same deal, they need a bit more size.
4. Clown tang in the regular QT .... I know, couldn't resist.

NautiTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much for being "done adding fish".
I still want pics or it didn't happen (video works too your son won't mind helping I'm sure).

Last edited:
OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much for being "done adding fish"

I categorically deny ever saying that ..... even if you can find it here in print ..... wasn’t me, didn’t do it, account got hacked .... er, yeah, that’s my story and I’m sticking with it :p.

NautiTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I recall correctly it may have been mentioned by someone with a similar user account on several occasions.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See .... exactly!

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U.S. is running the census this year, so I figured I’d do the same for my tank. Dropped a bunch of forms into the tank (because, of course, fish are not computer literate). Haven’t gotten a single form back ... hrumph. Gonna have to count ‘em myself. 110 nominally, yikes!

Tangs - yellow, black, gem, *&$*# purple, desjardjni sailfin, zebra, convict, Fowler’s, Achilles, four different Naso species, chevron, hippo and clown.
Angels - regal, emperor, asfur, rock beauty, Potters, lemonpeel and a pair of flames.
Butterfly - four pyramid, three zoster.
Bunch of wrasses ,12 as near as I can count.
Cardinals, 6
Anthias, 5
Clowns, 4
Chalkies, 4
Zebra eel
Red hawkfish
Damsels, 50-60

I think I’m done buying fish lol ....

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U.S. is running the census this year, so I figured I’d do the same for my tank. Dropped a bunch of forms into the tank (because, of course, fish are not computer literate). Haven’t gotten a single form back ... hrumph. Gonna have to count ‘em myself. 110 nominally, yikes!

Tangs - yellow, black, gem, *&$*# purple, desjardjni sailfin, zebra, convict, Fowler’s, Achilles, four different Naso species, chevron, hippo and clown.
Angels - regal, emperor, asfur, rock beauty, Potters, lemonpeel and a pair of flames.
Cardinals, 6
Anthias, 5
Clowns, 4
Chalkies, 4
Zebra eel
Red hawkfish
Damsels, 50-60

Make sure to inform those fish of the potential penalty for not completing the form and sending it back. They should know what consequences await.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I categorically deny ever saying that ..... even if you can find it here in print ..... wasn’t me, didn’t do it, account got hacked .... er, yeah, that’s my story and I’m sticking with it :p.
That person have an L instead of number 1 as the third letter. I think.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have always viewed a protracted power outage as the biggest threat to my tank. OK, runaway ATO and equipment failure can be fatal too, but I have mostly navigated my way around the vast majority of those with sensible redundancy. Even having a generator available is not entirely foolproof. I installed a whole house standby a few years ago, but equipment fails and propane runs out. Kept the old portable as a back up to the back up. More 'insidious' though are the quirky things that happen when the standby switches in and out. GFCI outlets sometimes trip and apex is not well hardened to power cycles. I keep the head unit on an UPs, but sometimes modules don't come back without removing and reattaching the aquabus cables. I've setup my apex so that those things won't crash the tank, but it's worth considering how one programs outlets with that in mind.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have always viewed a protracted power outage as the biggest threat to my tank. OK, runaway ATO and equipment failure can be fatal too, but I have mostly navigated my way around the vast majority of those with sensible redundancy. Even having a generator available is not entirely foolproof. I installed a whole house standby a few years ago, but equipment fails and propane runs out. Kept the old portable as a back up to the back up. More 'insidious' though are the quirky things that happen when the standby switches in and out. GFCI outlets sometimes trip and apex is not well hardened to power cycles. I keep the head unit on an UPs, but sometimes modules don't come back without removing and reattaching the aquabus cables. I've setup my apex so that those things won't crash the tank, but it's worth considering how one programs outlets with that in mind.
Totally agree.
My tank crash when somebody turn off my Generator after a hurricane. I had a friend come over right after the hurricane to make sure everything running smoothly, and it was. Then somebody turn off the generator by shut off my natural gas line, within 24 hrs of me coming home. The tank was crashing as I got home. 400 gal total volume, I cannot do much about it but able to save most of my anemones by removing them and send them to a friend's tank. Fish and SPD was a total loss, few LPS survived. My 24+ inches Gigas was irreplaceable.

U

User1

View Badges

Cardinals, 6
Anthias, 5
Clowns, 4
Chalkies, 4
Zebra eel
Red hawkfish
Damsels, 50-60

Tangs and Damsels :) You are a fish hoarder :) I'm teasing. I always thought you had the most damsels in a tank yet the other day I came across a tank that it only had damsels and well over a hundred! Reminded me of a fresh water cichlid tank. It was nice but I still favor your setup. I guess when you have a 450 gallon tank you have more options as it matures.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back