Simon's 450

SaracensRugby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I am still trying to understand the negative parts of sand "collecting detritus", I guess what are they worried about? I run a semi-triton system (no filter socks in sump) on my tank, and I do not have out of control NO3 and PO4, and I feed frozen and pellets 2-4 times a day. My PO4 is a bit high at .1ppm, but nothing crazy. Corals are happy, not as happy as yours :D. And I can't grow my chaeto either, not sure why when NO3 is at 2ppm. Great looking tank!

NautiTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question concerning your sandbed, as it seems relevant. When your flow moves it away from patches do you fill the bare spots with larger grain sizes or do you just tend to try to avoid directing flow towards the sand (perhaps there's another solution/mixture that i didn't mention)?

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just periodically shovel the sand back over the bare spots. I did position a few rocks on the bottom to try to break up the flow …. and that works to a degree.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’ve changed the procedure to upload YT videos. Ostensibly to make it better .... just seems unnecessarily complicated to me frankly :(. Got too close to the tank anyhow ....

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those poor fish are running out of room to swim :p The coral has grown in nicely!

yeah gots to do some trimming this weekend.

jman930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ca1ore what is your tang stock list? I see you have at least 3 different Zebrasoma tangs. Yellow, purple, and desjardini I think? Sorry if you have listed this before I didn’t see it in the 46 pages of the thread lol

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Four zebrasomas in the main display actually, plus a black in the frag tank. Purple, yellow, desjardini and a gem. Zebra, chevron, hippo and a couple of different Naso.

jman930

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I’d love to add a desjardini to my 350 but with an established yellow and purple not sure he’ll make it. How do you keep them together like this? Feed 12 times a day to prevent aggression? Lol

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do feed a lot ....

Always makes me laugh when novice reefers say their tangs are ‘best friends’. Not mine. But they mostly coexist. The occasional skirmish and a few tattered fins. Introducing a new one can be problematic. When I added the gem, I had to sump the purple for a few weeks otherwise I’d have had an ex-gem. If you want to add a desjardjni, just go with one that is larger than the resident purple/yellow. That is how I added mine and there was very little aggression. Even now, the purple, yellow and gem will fight a bit but the D gets left alone.

NautiTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also heard that adding 3 tangs at a time will spread the aggression.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How has the YT damsel herd manged over time? Has there been noticeable fighting or attrition?

A bit of bickering but nothing excessive. I am sure there have been some lost, but it's almost impossible to count them so canto say for sure. Broadly they seem as numerous now as when added. The other chrysiptera in the tank that are less numerous are easier to count …. they're all still around. Large groups of damsels are awesome … disperses the aggression well.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 33 26.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back