Simple Nano

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank , I'm getting ready to move from an 8 gallon to a 30 gallon. It's addicting. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
xellos88

xellos88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice looking tank. How old is it, and what kind of filtration are you running on the tank?
Thanks. Tank has been runnning for 5 years. But I would say it's been up for 5 months in it's current form (since my last major rescape). Filtration right now is just some denitrate and carbon in a HOB filter and some macroalgae in the display. There's a little bit of chaeto hiding in the back and some dragon's tongue halymenia.

OP
OP
xellos88

xellos88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank , I'm getting ready to move from an 8 gallon to a 30 gallon. It's addicting. :rolleyes:
Thank you. I've been pretty satisfied with this size tank so far. Bigger == bigger waterchange, more glass to scrape, more sand to vacuum, etc..hehe.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like it! :D

OP
OP
xellos88

xellos88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really really good

What brand sand is that

I could tell you had some age with the tank, calcification occurs in ~5 year tanks in the nooks and crannies is telltale
On the pump output vanes etc it's sharp IMO

In regards to other active threads out and about we had all been discussing hand guiding of tanks recently, especially when new and as often as required based on variables, so that various algae won't take hold and various sandbed invaders won't take hold.
This tank above either got one heck of a well planned start and never needed guiding, white/blue light balances, feeding, bio loading all good to go, or there were times you guided various growths -out- of the tank so that it arrived to be like it is (algae free, detritus not collected on surfaces, no algae in the upper or lower sandbed corners of the tank complexed with green tinted or red tinted cyano traces or GHA even at all)

Past being a compliment this looks like potential example tank for others, age of ecosystem in captivity is a big deal big testament to any method

I'd sure like to know how the early guiding started, if any, and if it streamlined with maturation into something now pretty hands off, not having to hand remove algae valonia cyano et al
And sandbed guiding, cleaning if at all, trending topic currently here

OP
OP
xellos88

xellos88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really really good

What brand sand is that

I could tell you had some age with the tank, calcification occurs in ~5 year tanks in the nooks and crannies is telltale
On the pump output vanes etc it's sharp IMO

In regards to other active threads out and about we had all been discussing hand guiding of tanks recently, especially when new and as often as required based on variables, so that various algae won't take hold and various sandbed invaders won't take hold.
This tank above either got one heck of a well planned start and never needed guiding, white/blue light balances, feeding, bio loading all good to go, or there were times you guided various growths -out- of the tank so that it arrived to be like it is (algae free, detritus not collected on surfaces, no algae in the upper or lower sandbed corners of the tank complexed with green tinted or red tinted cyano traces or GHA even at all)

Past being a compliment this looks like potential example tank for others, age of ecosystem in captivity is a big deal big testament to any method

I'd sure like to know how the early guiding started, if any, and if it streamlined with maturation into something now pretty hands off, not having to hand remove algae valonia cyano et al
And sandbed guiding, cleaning if at all, trending topic currently here

Thank you for your kind words. :)

I wouldn't say this tank was well planned though. It has looked horrible in the past and has gone through countless cycles of algae-filled goodness. :) The most recent being 5 months ago when I did a big rescape and added a lot of macroalgae, only to be eaten by my hermit crab and an unknown rock crab. All the die off resulted in this:

There were also times when it looked much better and it was weird because I didn't do any water change for a month. The algae is still there, right now there's a patch of green turf algae that my hermit crab can't get to because it's using a bigger shell. And detritus is still there hiding behind and under the rocks. I do think some algae means you have more than enough nutrients to grow things and is a good thing.

I'm in the Philippines, and I do think that this tank is more natural (and unstable) than most because I'm using fresh NSW. I also collected most of the LS (responsibly) myself. So, I know they can handle heat issues and appreciate more white light. There are also local groups sprouting and at least new guys now have more knowledge and resources compared to me. When I started, I was the only weird guy...now I know at least five other weird guys locally and we help new members out. :)

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being able to show the transition between the two scapes and the guidance that brings it back is reefing

Single, stilled, golden ratio perfection tank of the month pics (although breathtaking) arent what the years look like, agreed. The low level growths you mention agreed are part of a productive reef or skinny turtles, tangs and parrotfish would result ~ it's under such control here its not visible in clear tank shots, nice. Human grazer as needed=clean long term nano. Simple like you mentioned but hidden gem details too

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In every challenge tank thread I've posted, poked, pushed and got pushed in over the last two weeks all the collective tank work in them was opposite of yours. forced reef compliance, a dirty job at times

I now have a changed perspective on what I think a tank of the month is. Battle scars, post them as fact...the turnaround is the prestige like the movie says
anything less is airbrush reefing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
xellos88

xellos88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shot under natural sunlight. Trying to get everyone in a pic. We had a power outage this week and I noticed everyone comes out when the lights and pumps are off.

Shot under tank lights.

Chaeto in clam shell experiment is going well so far.

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is amazing. I'm new at this and don't know corals so i have to ask, what is that large coral with the clownfish in it?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back