Single White Dot on Royal Gramma?

Diver4242

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 24, 2020
Messages
32
Reaction score
10
Location
Nazareth
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Royal Gramma that's been in my 13.5g nano tank for about ten days (along with two Ocellaris Clownfish and a couple of blue-leg hermits and trochus snails). It seems pretty happy/active, darting in and out of the live rock. Parameters are all good.

This morning I noticed a single white dot just below its dorsal fin, about the size of the point of a pencil. I don't see any on the other fish or this one, nothing on their tails or fins. Attaching a pic of it.

It's been there all day, anything to be concerned about or action I should take?

grammawhitedot2.jpg
 
That doesn’t look like any specific disease, possibly an injury? I hesitate to suggest a course of action, not knowing what it is. It is a pretty large lesion though.
Jay
 
My bets are that it’s an injury of some kind, maybe inflicted by one of your rocks or a crab. The white part could be the start of Lymph. Just keep feeding well and maintaining good water and it should clear up.
 
The white spot is getting bigger. I tested water myself, parameters are spot on. Also had the LFS test it today. I sent them this video also to see if they could diagnose. My clowns (which show up briefly here) are fine. Any diagnosis? Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • HinesRoyalGrammaDisease2.mp4
    89.1 MB
Yesterday the Royal Gramma didn't come out at all. The day before it was active as usual (and this spot was growing). I saw a small portion of its tail in the live rock. I moved a piece of the rock and I think it moved away, but it still never came out, even at feeding time. Same this morning. I can't spot it.

Is it hibernating? Dead? I hate to disassemble my hardscape to try to get to it. Thanks for any assistance.
 
Yesterday the Royal Gramma didn't come out at all. The day before it was active as usual (and this spot was growing). I saw a small portion of its tail in the live rock. I moved a piece of the rock and I think it moved away, but it still never came out, even at feeding time. Same this morning. I can't spot it.

Is it hibernating? Dead? I hate to disassemble my hardscape to try to get to it. Thanks for any assistance.
Dying fish often tuck into rock crevices, in the wild, that protects them from predators. If your tank is larger than about 40 gallons, I’d just leave it to decompose. Sounds awful, but it won’t cause an ammonia spike, and tearing the rock work out is stressful to everything else. In a smaller tank, it could degrade the water, so you would want to pull it.
Jay
 
Looks like a nick that’s developing fungus. Melafix would heal it up
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new