Skimmate Change - Biopellet Effect???

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
12,345
Reaction score
25,568
Location
Sayreville, NJ
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pre biopellets my skimmate is what I would call normal. The bubbles would form and climb over the top edge of the collection cup and then collapse into a liquid. I had to dig to find a photo, but here's an old one prior to installing a collection container for the skimmate.


IMG_4790.jpg





I've been running biopellets since June, 2013. About a year ago I started to notice the bubbles were not collapsing and would fill the cup and start to push out through the holes on the cover of the collection cup. In addition, the skimmate would now leave blotches on the side of the collection cup.









I was still getting skimate in the collection containers, but now had a very strong odor of sulfur (rotten eggs).


Has anyone else experienced this? And do you think it's from running biopellets (sloughed off bacteria)?
 
This effect also coincided with the start of my biopellets, but subsided eventually.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new