OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend plumbing the tank and using a sump, or turning it into an AIO. For a 40 gallon tank, I would use the 9001 instead of the 9004.

Thanks. I already bought it and did some research and the 9004 seems to work with the 40. I want to keep it simple. No sump. Don't have the space

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend plumbing the tank and using a sump, or turning it into an AIO. For a 40 gallon tank, I would use the 9001 instead of the 9004.

It says the 9001 is for tanks up to 37 Gallons.

• 5.3 to 37 US Gallon tank (Depending on tank load)

The 9004 is up to 65

Justin_Casper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tbh, I am running the reef pack on a Waterbox Clear 3620. Just upgraded my skimmer to the DC pump.

The 3162 filter is very uhhh “finicky” if you pack it too tightly it’ll blow air often. I turned down the filter pump about halfway and only have Brightwell XportBIO cubes and floss in there, very lightly packed and it’s still an issue to get it working properly. At the moment I have an AquaMedic PF1000 filter in there as well until I iron out how to get the filter how I want it.

Honestly just thinking about taking both out and running just the 9012DC skimmer.

starbuck88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to jump in here and possibly contradict everything everyone in here has said, this is just what I am doing and it may turn to crap but so far so good.

I have a 30G and I run a canister filter. I've had no issues. I don't have a skimmer. My tank has now had water in it for 6 months. Currently have 2 clowns, 2 hermits, to snails and a shrimp. I have just added first corals. Couple of Softies and couple of LPS. So far so good. We will be adding more fish and more coral but admittedly I am going to be very careful about what to keep the load as low as possible.

Does this mean it'll stay good forever, no, am I hoping it will stay OK, yes.

Weekly water changes and bi-weekly filter clean, remove sponges and squeeze them out and swish them in the old tank water from the water change. Is it a bit of a hassle, yes, do I mind it...no.

I run a Fluval 406, has 4 big course filters which leads the water to the bottom basket, bottom basket I then have a layer of medium a layer of fine and a layer of floss. The middle 2 baskets are full of biohome ultimate marine pellets for the bacteria and then the top basket has seachem purigen, fluval phosphate removal pad and then floss on top for a final polish.

The water is crystal clear (I was told the ideal 'look' were the fish look as if they're floating) and my parameters are all stable...for now.

Feeding is kept to a minimum, I.E feed only what the inhabitants will eat, fish, inverts and coral and don't go crazy with it.

Had a green algae outbreak to begin with but that was due to the cycling process with lots of ammonia and lots of nitrates in the water, I let it run its course, it's gone, no potions or messing about.

My 2 Penny's worth, (Cents for you guys), good husbandry is probably the most outstanding and important factor, staying on top of maintenance and treating your tank and water parameters as a whole, taking advice not to chase numbers and keep everything stable.

The one thing I did do, was invest in a RODI system right from the start, I was originally going to go with tap water (Here in the UK and especially where I live the TDS is incredibly low and water standard is much higher/better over the entire country here than unfortunately other parts of the world) but I wanted to do the best I could.

Also I would note, if I went to a bigger tank, I would then have a sump.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you set up the aquarium now and decide later about the skimmer and filter? You are going to learn about your aquarium as you go along and can add equipment as you see the need arise.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of people run systems without a protein skimmer and the tidal hob is wicked. I would take peoples opinions with a grain of salt, set up your tank and see what works for you. Your coral will tell you what to do.

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of people run systems without a protein skimmer and the tidal hob is wicked. I would take peoples opinions with a grain of salt, set up your tank and see what works for you. Your coral will tell you what to do.
This thread caught my eye because of the question. I have a different situation as I built a large sump out of a 125g tank that will have a 25g fuge section I plan to stock with chaeto and hopefully pods will habitat. I have also bought a BM roller filter. There will be plenty of room to use rock rubble or other bio media. We still don't have the display and I think I'll see how it goes before buying a skimmer. Not saying it won't be needed but would be one less thing if I don't.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back