Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats alot of skimmer..

STL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a 180 build and used a Reef Octopus Hurricone Cat 2 on WWC's recommendation. Quiet, beastly, and super easy to clean.

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like they discontinued the skimmer I was going to use. I am now looking to use this:

AquaMaxx In-Sump Protein Skimmer

It's not quite 2x the rating of the volume that will be in the system. Anyone have any experience with these?

You can buy a better one fron Reef Octopus that uses pumps that are much more power effecient and come with great warranties. That being said for a 180 an XP3000 Cone or the XP5000 if you think you need that much skimmer, That would depend on the Load you plan to put in the tank, And I know these work as good as any higher cost skimmer around from personal exp. If you want a better option look at the Vertex Alpha line from Bubble King W/Red Dragon Pumps this is the best skimmer i have ever owned.
JMHO
Bill

JustinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put an xp3000 in my system which is about 200gallons almost 2 weeks ago and it's doing awesome so far!

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at the new sump I am putting together looks like I will need the 3000sss version. Do the sss versions work just as well?

Last edited:

JustinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the skimmer, thanks for the recommendation bill. I have the regular version, not the sss. I wanted the 5000 but was worried about space. This thing is rather large, no way I could have fit the 5000 after seeing the 3000. If you want more details on the size of the 3000 I can measure when I get home.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

laynframe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talk with Tyler at Elite-aquatics.net he just built me a skimmer he hasnt andvertised yet and its awesome. Its a cone design with a tiny foot print and is rated at 200 gallons I think. Shoot him a pm on his site and he always responds!

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! thats a TINY sump for a 180 in my opinion. only 45 gallons? on a 180, on a standard 180, you should plan for at least 8-10% drawdown from the tank when the pump is off. More depending on how deep your returns are in the water. Dont rely on a check valve to prevent a flood. If it were me, I would plan on something at least 75 gallons in total volume capabilities or you are just asking for a flood. and for that cost, you can build a pretty darn elaborate one custom to your needs...

on my 180, the water level will drop about 2 to 3 inches. that is 15 to 22 gallons. that's 1/3 to 1/2 of that sump's volume. every inch the water level in your tank drops is ~ 7 gallons.

just food for thought.

Last edited:
OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm I was trusting glasscages recommendation. On my current setup I have a 20 gallon sump for a 92 gallon corner. So just under 1/4 the DT volume. 45 would line up with that for a 180.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U can put a small hole on ur return line right at water lvl to break syphon and prevent a lot of drainage. Trick Rhett told me about a while back.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true. I've had those siphon holes clog too on my old 75.
Also with the way that sump is laid out ill bet when at Max running level you would only have 1/3 of the total volume to play with. Lets just say it makes me nervous.

Last edited:
OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does the siphon hole work? Seems like if the water were to push back through the return pump the water level would go up in the sump and submerge any hole. (I am very inexperienced in tank plumbing)

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anti syphon hole is on the return on the DT. If power is lose then the DT will drain down to the nozzle of your return sucking in air breaking syphon. By putting a hole in the return line as the water surface then it will only drain to that hole until it gets air in to break the syphon. If your sump is mostly full while running then you dont have much room for power lose drain.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back