Skimmer for 180 Build

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not drill a hole in my return in pipe in the DT. I used locline to position it to where it will break the siphon anyways. The hole is not full proof, because of algae, and snails or anything else that might clog the little hole. You should look into finding a cheap 55 gallon tank on craigs list, and make your baffles to the height that your sump will have 5-6 inches of of space to fill up if the power goes out. I can point you to a great glass shop in Mboro that will cut you the baffles for really cheap.

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a very DIY guy when it comes to the sumps and what not. I can build a PC no problem :p. I could purchase the sump that goes with the DT from glasscages.com, but I want a refug area.

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe glasscages allows you to customize the sump. So maybe I'll just have them build me one to order.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya...I am not "handy" by any means, but siliconing some glass baffles is really easy. And you can custom design it the way you want. And it will save you a lot of money. But if you got it in the budget, then try to find something that will have a big enough fuge to actually accomplish what it's designed to do, and leave enough space for equipment.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GC can custom build a sump. so that would not be an issue. you can make the Fuge area whatever size you want and spec it out as you want. go with a 75 as it is 18wx18tx48l vs the 55 which is 12wx18tx48l. both will fit nicely under a 180 stand (mine came with one like that). If it were me, on a tank of that length, Make your return area 12" wide, with 4-6" of bubble trap, fuge area 12" wide and Skimmer area 18" wide.\

This would give you a rough idea.

Untitled.png

Last edited:

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. The bubbles have to travel between the baffles which is hard to do, given that they have to go up and then down by the way the water flows

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YUP, if you make that area too small, then you end up having to add a little water each day vs weekly additions. unless you have an auto top off.

OP
OP
palvyre

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the ideal water depth for the XP3000 ? That will tell me how deep to have the skimmer chamber on my sump.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 83 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back