Skimmer... for a turtle?

Free Phyto Promo
Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed Spend $39+ → free 16oz Phyto · Use code FREEPHYTO at checkout · $16.99 value · Densest 6-species blend · Free shipping on every order · 100% live arrival guaranteed
Shop Now Code: FREEPHYTO

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Joined
Feb 1, 2008
Messages
3,361
Reaction score
58
Location
TX
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if skimmers work in fresh water? I have a turtle and am always looking for new and better ways to keep her water clean. Turtles are, after all, quite messy. Just wondering if this is something that might work or if it's a wild idea. Thoughts?
 
There is a schuran FW skimmer but honestly your better off using a hob filter for your turtle (not to mention they are around $800)
 
If I remember correctly there are skimmers for freshwater, but they are slightly different than the saltwater ones.

If you put a traditional saltwater skimmer pump into freshwater, it will not bubble the same as it does in saltwater.
 
I would sump the tank. It's easier to clean and way better filtration. I have a sump on my freshwater predator tank and I feed them beef heart so it gets very messy. I also had several florida soft shell turtles in with them and it kept the water really clean and nice.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 31.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new